Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Serf

Default New member.. Vermiculite insulation and other questions

Hello out there
I have read this forum with interest, and have started work on my oven in Vineyard Haven, mass. At this point I have footing, base, hearth all complete. No pictures to post.. but so far .. it looks like most other pictures i've seen. (I think thats good news).
Here are a couple of questions:
1. I'm ready to pour the insulating layer on the hearth. What are advantages and disadvantages if any ( beyond amount) of pouring 3-4 " insulating layer over whole hearth versus in a circle that mirrors the diameter of the oven?
2. I would like to include a wired built in thermometer. Where do I put the thermo coupler wire? under the floor brick? in oven wall?
3. I've read with interest about 'the indispensable tool' . Are there folks willing to lend such an item?

I have a kazzilion more questions.. but they will come as i build upward..
thank you in advance.. I'm glad to be a part of this band of bakers!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: New member.. Vermiculite insulation and other questions

Hi Victor,

No need to waste cement and vermiculite where you don't need it.

Look at my oven #2 for an idea on how to make an indispensable tool. View as a "slide show" to make it easier. Just a hinge, length of wood and a bolt to fasten it to a piece of plywood in the center of the hearth. You can put a lip on it to center the brick if you wish.

Place a pvc pipe under the vermicrete insulation for your thermocouple wire. Remove the pvc after the insulation cures. Determine the location of the probe so you can facilitate its placement when you do the hearth.

Best of luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"disadvantages if any ( beyond amount) of pouring 3-4 " insulating layer over whole hearth"

Besides being necessary for a functional point of view, the insulating layer is very porous. Depending upon your final dome cladding or enclosure, this layer can be a pathway for water entering your oven.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorsee View Post
Hello out there
I have read this forum with interest, and have started work on my oven in Vineyard Haven, mass. At this point I have footing, base, hearth all complete. No pictures to post.. but so far .. it looks like most other pictures i've seen. (I think thats good news).
Here are a couple of questions:
1. I'm ready to pour the insulating layer on the hearth. What are advantages and disadvantages if any ( beyond amount) of pouring 3-4 " insulating layer over whole hearth versus in a circle that mirrors the diameter of the oven?
I am new here myself and will freely admit there are others that know a lot more than me, but if I understand right what you are asking I would say the biggest negative to pouring it would be its just not nearly as strong or durable as concrete or mortar and it doesn't need to support much weight as it kinda floats there. Just my observation from just completing my first oven.

Tags
hearthinsulation, indispensable took, thermometer