Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Serf

Default New member Canberra Australia

Just by introduction I have attached a photo of my dodgy oven. I made it from castable cement, still getting hang of it but it is great fun. Survived the Canberra winter and frost minus 3degress Celsius and the 40 degress heat of summer. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
New member Canberra Australia-img_0321.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New member Canberra Australia

Gudday and welcome
Could you tell the forum a little bit more of you construction there are a few in "Aust" and the world that could draw on your experience

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Serf

Thanks Cobbler Dave, as a master builder I may not meet your professional standards. But in short, the frame is a basic 900mm high, 1000m square, I used Hebel blocks as a heat sink, 50mm solid pavers as a base. I used a polystyrene box and used sand to form the inner cavity of the dome. I then used layers of castable cement mix and 3mm insulation blanket to form the dome. Extra layers of cement and and a 90mm galvanised chimeny. Mistakes many, a few failures but 'ave a look at Workshop Outline Alan is the master!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Master Builder

Welcome mitdav...... It's a bit like a bug that gets you.
Early days I mocked up a temp fireplace with some hebel blocks to cook better damper
Then it was wanting better pizza
So I built a budget oven
Which made good bread and did a roast
Now I want to make better breads and roasts so oven number 2 is started.

I think others might agree...... Our inquisitiveness drives our building and perfection is something discovered along the way
Or
Maybe we just want to play with fire

Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday mitdav
sorry to disapoint but you get the title master builder ofter 500 posts so it means Ive hung round after my build and offered encouragemnet and a little advice at times.
I'm familar with the Watt ovens yes he is awsome but decieded to build forno because of the quality of the plans and the encouragement and advice I recieved. The object of the forum is to encourage the building and use of wood fired ovens not just the forno type. Trust me theres all types brick and cast tunnel and dome built by some real smart cookies....and a lot of these are Master builders.
I sure that many would like to find out more about your experience thats a good looking pic youv'e posted. I myself love that overhead cover you built how did ya get the pipe bent for that!
Perhaps you would consider starting up another thread to detail your build in The other ovens section? ( other than forno type) or the Aussie section (where your local knowledge counts) I'm sure you'll get some questions and a lot of "lookers"

Regards Dave
PS I have hebel hearth insulation Ala allan Watt

My Build

My Door

Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Serf

Thanks gents, I may start a new thread. Good thinking, will keep ya posted. Still finding may way around the forum. As for the pipes. I picked them up by chance from from my brother-in-law who had them made 25mm outside diameter and bent at the metal shop in Canberra (Metalland I think). I had 4 straight sections that I cemented into the ground, inner sleeves 25mm inside diameter, drilled in self tappers, heaps of silicon to keep the water out. The miniorb sheets are screwed down with gal self tappers. Pretty rigid, we get bad spring winds here. The chimney is on it's way out and I am considering a smaller version. Thanks again cheers
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday mitdav
sorry to disapoint but you get the title master builder ofter 500 posts so it means Ive hung round after my build and offered encouragemnet and a little advice at times.
I'm familar with the Watt ovens yes he is awsome but decieded to build forno because of the quality of the plans and the encouragement and advice I recieved. The object of the forum is to encourage the building and use of wood fired ovens not just the forno type. Trust me theres all types brick and cast tunnel and dome built by some real smart cookies....and a lot of these are Master builders.
I sure that many would like to find out more about your experience thats a good looking pic youv'e posted. I myself love that overhead cover you built how did ya get the pipe bent for that!
Perhaps you would consider starting up another thread to detail your build in The other ovens section? ( other than forno type) or the Aussie section (where your local knowledge counts) I'm sure you'll get some questions and a lot of "lookers"

Regards Dave
PS I have hebel hearth insulation Ala allan Watt
Dave, i think our OP is actually a master builder, as in buillding homes etc, not a hack pizza oven builder