Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Serf

Default New Here

Hello,

I am new here and would like to introduce myself, I am Tony from Paso Robles, CA. I am doing research on my first oven. I just bought my first house and have a great backyard. I have a natural slope in the back yard so I will be building my oven on that. I will level the dirt to pour my slab. Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone has any thought on using the natural grade instead of the base with wood storage.

Thanks all
Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New Here

Hi Tony - Welcome!

Not sure of your question - can you elaborate a bit on the wood storage issue?

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Serf

Hi Les what I am getting at is I dont need to build the BASE for the oven. From what I have seen everyone uses the base as their wood storage. I have a perfect sloping area in the backyard I can cut into vertically and place my oven right at level on the graded ground. So my oven will be on the grade and I will be able to stand in the cut out dirt area.

Did that make any sence
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome,

I think as long as you pour footings and then your hearth slab, it would be just fine.

Have fun with the new obsession.

I am sure that you will soon know what I mean.

And don't forget to post lots of pictures of your build.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dog's Brewing View Post
Hi Les what I am getting at is I dont need to build the BASE for the oven. From what I have seen everyone uses the base as their wood storage. I have a perfect sloping area in the backyard I can cut into vertically and place my oven right at level on the graded ground. So my oven will be on the grade and I will be able to stand in the cut out dirt area.

Did that make any sence
Absolutely - The reason we all opt for the wood storage is that it is a by product of building the hearth. It's an area that can be used for something - if not wood - beer or wine comes to mind, if you don't live in my environment

Good luck and keep the questions coming - this is a great forum.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dog's Brewing View Post

Did that make any sence
Hey Tony-
Welcome to the group. I'm just across the ridge from you in Bakersfield.

I think this would look pretty awesome however without some type of footing its life may be reduced. Keep in mind you are going to be disturbing the natural soil, adding some tonnage to it and with any hill you are going to have the water run off slowly but surely taking dirt with it. I suppose you could add a layer of geo-textile fabric and landscape the sides for the runoff issue but you would still have the dirt underneath wanting to move forward on you sooner or later.
There is certainly no reason why you could not do a pier and grade beam footing that you would never see. Drilling 4 or 6 holes, 1 on each corner and 1 in the middle of each side. Then pour a footing to connect these and this is what the hearth slab would sit on. You would never see it.. then again having the wood right there is very convenient this sound like a really neat idea tell us more..
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Uno, if there is no freeze issue, then he could likely get away with concrete filled tubes about 6" diameter x 5 (four corner and one middle). As for area behind oven, against wall....cut into hill with proper gap for oven? This is what I picture for Two Dogs Tony. Tony, it is great to get onto your thread. Now we look forward to a photo of the area you are looking to build at.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 10-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Serf

Les, Uno, Acoma

WOW thanks for all the great replies. Nice to meet you all. I will get some pictures tomorrow and post them. The corner in my back yard I think is perfect. I should be able to build a really nice sized oven. I like the idea of the tube footing. We used to call the cardboard tube forms SonaTubes. I will definatly do the 5 tube piers. I assume this slab is just regular concrete right. Anyway I have so many ideas and questions.

Uno, I work for a company in the oil patch out there in BAko. I get there pretty often.

Thanks again everyone I cant wait to get building.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Don't forget to insulate your hearth!
James

Old 10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Serf

James, Thanks for the reply. I am planning on using that KAOwool hard board stuff. I work in an oil field so insulating materials are pretty easy to come by.

Any suggestions are welcome though. I am very open minded and really in the early phases of planning

Thanks again

Tony