Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Serf

Cool new to forum

Hey all
New to forum, trying to learn all the ins and outs of oven building before we try it on our own, have been looking at all the info and not having brick laying experience is kind of daunting but willing to give it a go anyway, will be gathering all the info from pictures and comments from all that have gone before us.
Dezi
Old 11-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Peasant

Default Re: new to forum

Hi
Glad to see more southerners! Looks like there are several ovens going up in Florida now. There are some smart, helpful people on the Forno Bravo Forum. We started one in Georgia a couple weeks ago. I don't know anyone who has one, so pretty much all the information we have came from this group. Looks like there are several ovens going up in Florida now. There are some smart, helpful people here. Post lots of pictures. Good luck!
Bonita
Old 11-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: new to forum

Yes, go for it Dezi,
a lot of planning, a bit of hard work and a lifetime of enjoyment.
But beware though, it is contagious and will cost you heaps. The oven is quite inexpensive, but the outdoor kitchen and the entertaining the host of friends and relatives will be ongoing.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Apprentice

I am new myself and read a lot of posts before starting my project. There is a lot of information here from very knowledgable, skilled and helpful people. I couldn't imagine doing my project without the information I found here.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Peasant

Angry Re: new to forum

Hi! My question is, how does one know which brick is right? (except fireplace brick) I have refractory brick, (hard and brittle) It doesn't take the thermal shock of firing the oven well, example everywhere I moved the fire in the oven it spauled the floor and cracked the brick, what a mess. I had 22 inch by 2and1/2 inch brick for the floor. I am now layering it with split firebrick after replacing the floor. Will this work? I need expert advice, I also opened a crack in the dome. It looks like I had expansion and got 1/2 inch zig zag top to almost bottom. I just remortered it. i joined the forum 5/8 of the way finished, waiting for my 5th post to get the pics out.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Peasant

If its worth doing you might as well do it twice? YA RIGHT
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I have refractory brick, (hard and brittle) It doesn't take the thermal shock of firing the oven well
22 by 2 1/2 inches? Is is some kind of refractory tile? It shouldn't spall like that. Where did it come from?

What kind of mortar are you using?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Peasant

I am using a high temp refactory cement mixed with sand a little lime
Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Apprentice

Welcome to the forum Dezi. You have come to the right place There are a ton of very experienced people here who have built ovens, quite a few with ovens just started or in varying stages of completeness, and a bunch like me that are still planning and just getting started. And everybody will help with any question you have. I think you will like it here.

Travis
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

Roncut,

I would expect that any grade refractory brick (or even tile for that matter) would take temperature cycling without spalling unless the temperature change was more of a shock (very rapid heating or cooling, like drenching in water or something). Post a few more times so you can include pictures!

Travis