Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Laborer

Default new to the forum

hello all i am about to build my first oven but am looking for plans and equipment list ie how many bricks ect for a aprox 48 to more than likely 60 inch oven to run a pizzeria bakery restaurant any help would be great from you guys in the us are there many uk members ?? i know the FB uk site is not very good and they that run FB UK are not knowledgeable of brick ovens only kits
Old 09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new to the forum

Hi Smallholder,

Welcome! There are several UK builders here on the forum.
The first thing you need to do is download the plans from the FornoBravo store and read them through (several times!) until you get a good idea of the process.

The plans can be "ordered" from the store link on the Pompeii Oven page:
Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven
You download the plans through the FB store. They are free, but you go through the motions of buying them to download.

If you have problems downloading the plans, there are also links at the very bottom of the page: Brick Oven Plans | Build an Italian Brick Oven to view the plans on the web.

The plans cover a 36inch and 42inch oven. You can easily use the same plans to scale up to a larger oven.

Look around the forum threads a bit and you'll find several builds of large size ovens.

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Welcome :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallholder123 View Post
hello all i am about to build my first oven but am looking for plans and equipment list ie how many bricks ect for a aprox 48 to more than likely 60 inch oven to run a pizzeria bakery restaurant any help would be great from you guys in the us are there many uk members ?? i know the FB uk site is not very good and they that run FB UK are not knowledgeable of brick ovens only kits

Karangi Dude, (Doug), will be able to give you a number for a 48 inch oven. Good luck

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
hello all i am about to build my first oven but am looking for plans and equipment list ie how many bricks ect for a aprox 48 to more than likely 60 inch oven to run a pizzeria bakery restaurant
You will need to make some decisions before you can determine the actual number of bricks. If you decide to use whole bricks that is un-tapered, you will use fewer bricks and more mortar. If you decide to taper your bricks you'll use more bricks but use less mortar.

If you're anything like me it takes a while to get your head around the basics of the oven and some of the details of your design such as, low dome vs high dome, arch style, floor material, and that doesn't even cover the decorative issues.

Good luck on your build, I lit my 1st fire today to start curing the oven and it has been a lot of fun and I haven't even cooked a pizza yet.

The people here on the site are very helpful and knowledgeable and most of the time we even answer stupid questions because we asked them before.

It will be very interesting to see some posts on a large oven.

Chip
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Laborer

thanks i have the fb plans but not sure how to calculate the materials needed for a 54 inch floor but great forum and lots to see thanks to everyone
Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
thanks i have the fb plans but not sure how to calculate the materials needed for a 54 inch floor but great forum and lots to see thanks to everyone
A number of people are using Google sketch-up to do many of their mock-ups. it is free and does a nice job.

Chip
Old 09-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Apprentice

Just by using quick round numbers, a 42 inch oven uses approx 35 bricks for the floor, a 54" would use about 56 bricks, and a 60" would need approx 70 bricks. As far as the dome, for a sixty inch oven you'll probably need another 300 to 350. Just a round number though. Just using quick calculations it appears a 60 inch oven uses twice the materials of a 42 inch oven.
Leigh
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Laborer

that's about what i planed for but as i have never laid a brick i thought i would seek wisdom
from those that know its a very scary task i am about to embark on ,my first restaurant ,my first brick oven, but one good thing i have is 4 months free rent to get it all put together hoping to open in November tonight i have the time to go thru a lot of FB threads as i am up all night with my bitch about to welp a litter of 2nd generation labradoodles alas i have a excuss to be on the pc all night with out my wife getting cross with me lol
Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Laborer

Facebook
yew 10 pups delivered safely and now sleeping thank god these little ones will make it possible to have a 54 inch oven with a attached smoker and a grill in our new restaurant look forward to starting soon and sharing our progress with all you good people
Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Some help laying those bricks

If you want some assistance laying all those bricks, dmun shows a "bricky" brick laying jig to help lay the mortar in posts numbered 38-40 of this thread (dmun's 36" geodesic oven).

http://brickytool.com

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 09-09-2011 at 06:12 AM.