Old 05-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Serf

Default New 36" in Oslo, Norway

I've been a hangaround here since 2009, in 2010 I started digging to build my outdoor kitchen. I've completed the kitchen including a stand for a 36" Pompeii oven. Pics will be added later I am now starting to gather the materials for building. I have a couple of newbe hearth-questions:

- is there a big difference between using superisol plates (Ytong is what you get here) or perlite as hearth? Seems to me to be a easier way out to use plates(?)

- Should the perlite/superisol- layer be placed under the cookingfloor and kept separate from the outer edge of the stand (circular mould inside stand-top), or should this layer cover the whole stand-top. I see different solutions are used, but what is better according to heat-loss?

- what is ultimate thickness of the perlite-layer?

I hope I will be good at documenting the prossess, but it's not my strongest side

And thanks for this site, without it I would have had a hard time researching all the details.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Serf

Default Re: New 36" in Oslo, Norway

Here is my outdoor kitchen with WFO-stand.

The counter top is polished concrete made from white portland cement and marble sand.

Im in the process of gathering materials for starting the WFO-build.

Wish me luck
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" in Oslo, Norway-ferdig-kjk-f-r-wfo.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Serf

Heres a pic of the process of building the kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
New 36" in Oslo, Norway-nesten-3-lag-og-bomba-hage.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Rix. Looks like a good start.

To your question, the Superisol (assume this is cal-sil) will give you more insulation in less space than perlite w/concrete. One inch of superisol is probably worth ~3 inches or more of perl-crete (perlite mixed with concrete). The trade-off is cost. Cal-sil board is much more expensive than perl-crete. It really depends on whether or not you have the room to give up in height for perl-crete. You might need 4-8 inches of that where you could get by with 2-3 inches of cal-sil.

Sorry for all the imperial measurements. America is still holding on to the past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.