Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Laborer

Default My new Primavera 60!

I am a proud owner of a new Primavera 60! It's been a long time coming. I have had this on my wish list for some time. I hope you already know me, from visiting Pizza Quest! I've been making and taking photos of my pizzas made in my home oven for a few years now. I've had great results, but always wanted a wood fired oven for so many reasons. Well, a crate came to the house the other day and for $20 the delivery guy helped me roll it straight into my back yard and plopped it on my patio!

Here it is! I love the new color (red) that the Primavera's come in.

I have a small back yard, so this is perfect. I've been reading the forum for some time, and I do want to build an oven some day, but this is perfect for me right now.

I've just completed my 5 Day curing schedule. It was driving me crazy! It wasn't as easy as you would think - making and maintaining low temperature fires for 5 days. The hardest part was smelling the wood burn for hours and hours and not being able to throw a pizza in there. I couldn't help myself one night and I chopped up a few potatoes, seasoned them added some butter and olive oil and wrapped them in foil and tossed them in the oven. I hated to see the heat go to waste!

I'll get into this more in another post, and definitely in more detail over on Pizza Quest, but I chose to go the Engine Hoist route when installing this thing on it's stand. It's heavy! As FB suggests, 4 people can lift it, but I didn't want to risk anyone pulling their back out - when I could rent a hoist for $25. Let me tell you, it was worth it.

To get my introduction over with sooner rather than later, here are some pictures of my first pizzas. Yesterday, the day after I finished the curing fires, I took this thing out for a test drive. It's a little nerve wracking to take it up to pizza temperatures after spending 5 days trying to maintain a smaller fire for hours on end. But, as we know, it is built to run, so you just have to go with it. Once I saw the dome clearing, my fears faded away and I was giddy with anticipation.

I know there will still be some curing time coming until the oven hits it's sweet spot. I know I will go through a lot of ups and downs as I learn to drive this thing. I already find myself thinking about how to find a deal on firewood. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Anyway, here are a few pics of my first pizzas: a basic Margherita and a "kid" pizza with salami for my daughter. The Margherita would be a kid pizza, but it has something GREEN on it! Oh my.

I had about 750 on the floor and it showed in the high 8's and 9's on the dome - depending on how big the fire on the side was going. Not bad for a first try.

The kid pizza:

I had to clean up and run after this test drive. I can't wait to fire it up again!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My new Primavera 60!

Congrats, nothing like the first pizza.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: My new Primavera 60!

That is great-crate to pizza in 5 days! you didn't even get to clean up brick dust
I really think if i ever have a need for another oven i will go this route instead of building. Just because of the time alone.

Texman

Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Proud owner of a new baby...

And the pizza looks great....
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need a hat for that flue pipe to keep out the rain. An upturned terracotta flowerpot saucer would suffice.
Nice pizza.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
You need a hat for that flue pipe to keep out the rain. An upturned terracotta flowerpot saucer would suffice.
Nice pizza.
It came with a clay pot! Has anyone attached a metal top to one of these that allows smoke out, but keeps water out as well?