Old 09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Serf

Default My first oven is a success

My name is Tim and I'm from western NY state. Ive been looking at several web sites for a couple months now and decided to try an oven. Unfortunatly I didnt have the time or the finaces for one of the very nice ovens Ive seen on this site. Then I saw the stacked brick oven that was featured on your page called one hour oven.I had a bunch of old bricks laying around so I gave it a try. I couldnt get them to stack well so I bought 200 bricks 30 fire bricks for the floor, 4 24x24 pavers. and some concrete blocks to ring it up so I wouldnt have to cook on my knees.

I fisrst leveled an area and stacked 4 layers of concrete blocks for a base. I then put the pavers on top to create a 4 ft square platform. the fire bricks were then places on the pavers to form the floor. then I stacke bricks oround the fire bricks to a hight of 16 inches. then I put bricks across the top supported by some angle iron that I had laying around.I then took the old bricks and stacked them around the new ones to create a double layer of brick on all sides and the top.

So far we have cooked pizza in it 4 times and it works very well. I tried some bread andit did cook but the oven seems to cool fairly quickly so I amd going to have to add some insulation around it.

Thanks for all the ideas My family and I plan on hving pizza every Sat till it snows.

Tim
Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My first oven is a success

Show some photos of your oven fired up.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyNY View Post
Then I saw the stacked brick oven that was featured on your page called one hour oven.
I looked all over Forno Bravo and couldn't find a "One Hour Oven". After a quick Google search I found this: The 1-Hour Brick Oven

Is this the type of oven you built? As Acoma mentioned, post some pictures! Looks like a fun project.

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Serf

Thats the one. I dont know how to post pics to this forum.

Tim
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

tim,

Posting is pretty easy. Go to the photo gallery and select post photos.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Apprentice

I have seen the 1 hour oven on that website and always thought it was a great idea - certainly wouldn't have the longevity of a Pompeii oven, but for occasional use it seems like a pretty sound design.

One thing it did point out to me is that we all probably obsess about cracks too much. The 1 hour oven is by definition not mortared or sealed in any way, yet it still works!

-- Yogi Berra

Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This one hour oven is great for college frat parties, burning man, beach gatherings, etc., where crowds would gather and then disperse. For the homeowner that wants character, go with FB., and build one

Acoma
Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Serf

I was able to post a picture in completed ovens called stackedbrick oven. my 2 sons are posing with the first fire.

Tim
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tim, how long to make it? That is awesome to make something that you can use so quickly. Great work. Are you going to make a larger one now, or would this be it?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Way to go Tim,

What a great idea. We get a number of requests for exactly this type of oven -- and I have never known what to say.

We would be happy to host plans and ideas that a weekend builder can do -- put it up, have a great party, and take it down when you are ready. FB could host plans and the discussion board. I think this is part of a spectrum from quick to craftsman.

If we have volunteers, there could be a 1-hour set of plans as an FB e-book.

What do you think?
James