Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Serf

Default minimum viable oven?

Hello folks!

I've recently moved and in the back yard of the house I'm renting I've found the base of a fire-pit/oven (photo's attached) and I would really like to find the most minimal cost way to turn it into something I can cook pizza and bread in.

The walls look relatively sturdy, the inside of the chimney as you can see is not in great shape and I am not quite sure what the base is made of/whether I can cook directly on it.

I don't have construction experience and am a student so would like to spend less than $100 to turn this into something that does even marginally better than my gas oven with a pizza stone.

The only idea I've cooked up is to fill the inside with one layer of cinderblocks filled with sand and cover it with a steel slab and build a cylindrical dome over this. But I'm not sure whether this is smart or feasible and would love all of the advice I can get.

Thanks!

Devin

Last edited by DevinM; 08-31-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Wrong photos attached
Old 08-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Serf

Default Re: minimum viable oven?

Sorry folks, I'm not sure how a picture of my dresser ended up here instead of the structure in my backyard. Am re-posting the pictures here and would really appreciate suggestions!

Part of me wonders if I should use the side walls as a base for a barrel.

Also, is there any point in using the concrete slab on the ground as a cooking surface? e.g., if I lined the walls with firebricks and then filled it with sand to create a rectangular dome which I covered with adobe?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
minimum viable oven?-image-5-.jpeg   minimum viable oven?-image-4-.jpeg   minimum viable oven?-image-3-.jpeg  

Tags
cheap, easy, novice