Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Laborer

Default larger oven

hello all i need your help if i take the 42 inch plans as my bible what is the formula for the number of bricks needed for every extra inch i add to the cooking space???? say a 54 inch floor space .. whats the formula for hight vs opening size ??? thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: larger oven

I don't think there is a formula for brick usage. Only general guidelines since virtually every oven is cut differently. SketchUp (free) is a useful software tool in mocking up your oven down to the last brick and will give you exact dimensions of everything.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Take half the volume of the interior sphere from half the volume of the exterior sphere and this will give you the volume of the brick oven wall. Next you'll need to take out the entry to the dome, add back the brickwork in the entry and the floor. I think I used somewhere around 280 bricks and I know I calculated the amount and put it in a thread.. I'll add the link when I find it.. Ah, here you are..

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...did-12611.html (POLL........How many Fire Bricks did you use for your oven?????)

I don't know how much this thread answers you question but it should give you a way to estimate about what you'll need. Post 12 shows my math.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 11-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Journeyman

-What ever you think you will need, you will end up using more anyway. Just get started, that's what I say.
-What do you need that big of an oven for anyway. 54 " is a sh*t load of space. If your mostly making pizzas, they cook so fast you don't need a huge oven. It's hard for even the most experienced cooks to have more than 3 pizzas in the oven at a time (and build more pizzas). If your baking bread, I could see how it would be nice, but that's sill a lot of bread.

Mike
Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
-What ever you think you will need, you will end up using more anyway. Just get started
That's how I did mine. I bought a car load of bricks to get started then I was able to make estimates as I went along.

You're talking about a big oven. Commercial use perhaps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Laborer

yes i am opening a 20 seater pizzeria in march so i want to cook pizzas and other dishes as well and we will also have a indoor bbq does any one think it could be smaller?? or is it about right
Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallholder123 View Post
yes i am opening a 20 seater pizzeria in march so i want to cook pizzas and other dishes as well and we will also have a indoor bbq does any one think it could be smaller?? or is it about right
Very exciting, can't wait to see the oven, & the rest of the pizzeria!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That will be a nice size oven. Because it'll be in a restaurant setting, heating up that much mass won't be to much of an issue. It'll be hot all the time.

Updated!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Apprentice

Off the top of my head the door height to dome height is 63%...someone chime in here. Don't think your oven too large..you will be glad when you have a little extra room for getting wood in, ash piles, etc while still baking pizzas with room to get away or closer to flames or find the sweet spot in the floor.