Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Apprentice

Default Just starting my build

I am on a lunch break from shoveling gravel out of the area I want to build my outdoor kitchen, fireplace, and WFO. I will be laying a patio 18x25 with the hearth and WFO next to each other on one side. the Patio is extending from the end of the cement area that surrounds our pool, so I have a good level straight edge to work off of. The ground slopes down about 10 inches on one corner and a bit over 12 in another. I am going to begin excavating the area for my wall footers later today and will probably start my footer/foundation pour this weekend. This is my first venture into Cement work so I am sure I will have a ton of questions. I expect the whole project to take most of the summer but hope to be cooking in the Oven by mid July.

Thanks. WCD
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Just starting my build

Post pictures !
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Journeyman

WCD,

Welcome to the forum! I'll look forward to watching your project come together.

I had very little experience with cement before my build. In fact, one of the reasons to build the oven was to get some experience with masonry products. It worked! I am more confident after the build about working with the masonry bits, and have a pizza oven as a verifiable outcome...!!

And the oven is cool! A great addition to the back yard, and the party scene on our block.

Keep us posted on your build and let us know if we can help with any questions that might come up....

And do send along pictures!

JED
Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Apprentice

A pool and an oven! You'll be the envy of all your neighbors. Post some pics. we all like some show and tell here at the forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Apprentice

There is nothing better than having a hot summer day with beer in hand, cooking pizzas and then jumping into the pool!!! I loved it this summer...but our weather in just starting to turn...cool mornings are here!!! Going to miss those 40 degree C days!! Enjoy your build, heaps of fun!!!!

Scott
Old 04-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey WCD..
Welcome to the forum.. You will be surprised how fast your confidence level will increase with each step pf the build... Good luck.. Enjoy It... as as you can see.. Take lots of pics.. we like them all, including digging foundation pics..
Cheers
Mark
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Apprentice

Well I have been planning this for a couple years now. I have a stack of 700-800 red bricks that I don't even know if I will be using because my plans have have changed so many times. I finally decided that I would stop coming up with reasons that I couldn't do it and just make it happen. So I broke ground 2 weeks ago, then last week my wife told me she wanted me to finish a part of our kitchen that I promised but didn't get to several years ago. I spent last Saturday .....ALL day pulling the wood from a bakers window and replacing it with Sappelle and giving her a 6 inch ledge above the sinK . It turned out nice although it took so freaking long.
So this week I took a day off an started sifting thru the rock garden at the end of the pool that I will be using for my out door kitchen. I will find time to post pictures tomorrow. Yesterday when I was working out there it was almost 90 degrees.....Whooped my butt. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's so I will be digging out the footers in the morning and probably laying some concrete. I stopped by Home Despot and bought a Husky cement mixer tonight on the way home from work. Damn the torpedo's and full steam ahead. Yesterday around 2:30 when I felt I was beginning to fade I piled the wife and kid into the car and went to a landscaping place to check out what they have. Lots of nice brick and block but some of the block runs 400+ a pallet. Nice stuff but I just can't bring myself to do it. I am leaning toward a foundation of cement pads for the forno and fireplace, cinderblock walls with stucco and some brick or stone work, and a scavenged granite cutoff patio.

Questions. morter the bricks empty to each other, or use rebar, dry stack them , then fill with concrete? any consensus?
when correcting grade problems, what do you use to fill the lower parts? Is crush a sufficient material, or do I need to use something else?
Round vs Half Oval ? I read bigger is better but when is it too big?
10 inch block, 8 inch block, 6 inch block.....hello? what do I need to use?

Tomorrow I will double check my lines, start digging my foundation, , go get some cement and lay some foundation. I am certain I can come up with enough reasons to wait and research to last 20 yeas so I am just gonna start building, and check back every day or so to see what others say.
By the way, someone mentioned how good it is to sit by the pool with a beer and a pizza made in your own oven......I just kegged up an Imperial Porter than I made that comes in at 9.73% and will probably brew up a batch of lime pepper cerveza this weekend so when it is ready, perhaps my fricking oven will start looking like something more than ust a butch of string art in the yard.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Apprentice

DOH!
Forgot to ask. Since I have access to some pretty big slabs of granite. ( cutoff pieces from counters...) I am wondering if it would be a suitable material for he floor of the overn. it would save me money and time if a piece or three coule make up the floor and I woulid think that it woulid make a nice smoothe cooking surface.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Journeyman

The granite won't work as a cooking surface. Some people have used soapstone instead of firebrick. Good luck, this project is a lot of fun. You learn a lot and there are plenty of guys like me who didn't know anything before their project and now will share their experience with you.
Eric
Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey WD,
Quote:
Questions. morter the bricks empty to each other, or use rebar, dry stack them , then fill with concrete? any consensus?
I poured my slab,(almost 12" thick with rebar and wire) mortared the first course of block, dry stacked and rebared every other core, filled rebarred cores and finished in and out of block with quikrete SBC, Surface Bonding Cement... I used the 8" block.. like to say, If your not gonna overbuild it,, dont bother building at all... (my daughter was sure I was building a bomb shelter)

QUIKRETE® - QUIKWALL® Surface Bonding Cement

Do It Yourself Soapstone : Slabs Sinks Countertops Soapstone Self Installation Check out the soapstone.. They have some decent DIY slabs with "free" shipping...

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 06:54 PM.