Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Peasant

Default Insulation

Question regarding pouring loose vermiculite into enclosure. I can get a bag of vermiculite that is 4 cubic foot. If my enclosure is 4 feet wide by 4 feet long and 4 feet high, I should only need one bag, is this correct? What are the recomendations for using loose vermiculite in an enclosure? I can not get the ceramic blanket locally and do not wish to pay the high price of shipping. Your guidance is appreciated.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny8 View Post
Question regarding pouring loose vermiculite into enclosure. I can get a bag of vermiculite that is 4 cubic foot. If my enclosure is 4 feet wide by 4 feet long and 4 feet high, I should only need one bag, is this correct? What are the recomendations for using loose vermiculite in an enclosure? I can not get the ceramic blanket locally and do not wish to pay the high price of shipping. Your guidance is appreciated.
4x4x4 is 64 cubic ft. You need 16 bags...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les is correct on a pure volume of a cube, if you factor out the space of your oven it will be less volume than a pure cube. The volume of a 1/2 sphere is 2 times pi times radius squared. So if you use the cube volume and subtract the 1/2 of a sphere volume and add a fudge amount there you go.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Les is correct on a pure volume of a cube, if you factor out the space of your oven it will be less volume than a pure cube. The volume of a 1/2 sphere is 2 times pi times radius squared. So if you use the cube volume and subtract the 1/2 of a sphere volume and add a fudge amount there you go.
You are correct Russell - my mind was multi-plexing between another task and spaced that out... Oh yea, I screwed the other task up as well - not a good Monday morning start...

Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

Every day is like that for me not just Mondays................
Les likes this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
4x4x4 is 64 cubic ft. You need 16 bags...
Oh my god-I just read what I wrote earlier today. DUH!!!!!!! It has definitely been a MONDAY. Wow, do I feel stupid. Ok, I'm good now. If I want to insulate with loose vermiculite, will this be sufficient if I fill the enclosure? Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's okay, we all get brain cramps once in a while.

BTW R value for loose fill vermiculite is about 2.0 per inch thickness vs CF super wool being about 7.0 so take it for what it is worth. So if your oven dome gets near your enclosure you may want to look at these areas closely.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny8 View Post
Oh my god-I just read what I wrote earlier today. DUH!!!!!!! It has definitely been a MONDAY. Wow, do I feel stupid. Ok, I'm good now. If I want to insulate with loose vermiculite, will this be sufficient if I fill the enclosure? Thanks for the replies guys.
Benny - how big is your oven? I went with the blanket but I would think you want at least 4 inches of loose vermiculite on the sides. You should be very well insulated on the top.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Benny - how big is your oven? I went with the blanket but I would think you want at least 4 inches of loose vermiculite on the sides. You should be very well insulated on the top.
My oven will be 30" inside diameter. It will be a cast oven with 2" walls. How many rolls of the CF blanket would I need to achieve the 4" recommended? I see it 50sf rolls-2'x25'x1"-would 1 roll do 4 layers for a total of 4"?Thanks again for the replies.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That's going to give you 7 inches of insulation on the sides - no need for the blanket. The vermiculite will be less expensive and a whole lot easier to work with.