Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Journeyman

Default I'm in!

After collecting info for two months, I've finally started. I feel like Nikki, having built my oven a dozen times in my head. It does seem that since I don't have plans, I am changing as I go. Two weekends ago I poured the slab and this Saturday we built the hearth. As you can see from the pix I had to build into a slope, and the decomposed granite has not yet decomposed. Thanks to all (especially Les) for your help so far, and I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
I'm in!-img_2561.jpg   I'm in!-img_2562.jpg   I'm in!-img_2563.jpg  
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: I'm in!

Hooray, it's begun! The stand alredy looks marvelous and finished. It's going to look really great nestled into the hillside as well. Is that a seating area I see to the right of the oven?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Nikki. Yea it is a seating area around the firepit. I will post pix of it later, right now its covered in my extra block. I have been following your build, looks great and I am really jealous at your speed. I have a few other projects going so mine will be slow I'm afraid.

Mark
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceloven View Post
I had to build into a slope, and the decomposed granite has not yet decomposed.
That does not sound like fun Are those scrape marks from your Pick? The good news - that puppy isn't going anywhere!

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 12-01-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Journeyman

Hey Les,
Those are jackhammer scrapes. A pick would just bounce off. It horrible stuff to work with, but you are right its not going anywhere. Thanks for the reply.
Mark
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Looks like you're off to a great start!
- Daren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice looking stand!! You have a great start.

Updated!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Ken, I have alot of your pix bookmarked for reference. You and Les have set the bar very high for quality standards. I hope to get close!

Mark
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This looks very interesting. Do you know how you're going to incorporate the oven in the hillside, or is that still part of the ongoing planning?

The situation you have there reminds me a bit of an oven that was going to be covered with earth and have plants growing on top - don't think there were ever any pics of the finished oven though. I thought the idea was cool though.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Apprentice

It looks great Mark! Very nice work. Your granite may have been a pain to jackhammer out, but WOW what a base for an oven I am trying to figure out how to build on black Texas clay without it someday sinking or floating away

Great start and look forward to watching the rest of the build.

Travis