Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Serf

Default Hi - I love these Pompeii ovens

Hi, I'm voon.

I stumbled across this site while researching information about building a tandoor oven. Now I am totally captivated by the idea of building one of these lovely Pompeii ovens. I've long wanted a wood fired pizza and bread oven, but I always figured that it would take a master mason to build one, and a huge $$$$ budget. I'm sure that helps, but after reading the free plans on this site, I am fairly certain I can build one too, and for a reasonable amount of money.

Alas, my current home has no space left to build one unless I build on the city's utility easement, which I suspect is not a good idea. So I'll have to save it for my next house, perhaps in about two years.

In the meantime, I'm going to build that tandoor oven. It'll be a portable one built inside of an oil drum, similar to examples I've seen on the net. If I'm successful, I'll build a larger permanent tandoor oven on my patio. That will be far simpler than building a Pompeii oven, but I expect it will still be a challenge for me.

Now I'm off to other parts of the forum to ask some questions about insulation.