Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Introductions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Serf

Default Hi all from a newbie

Hi guys just came across this website, didn't realise it existed, built me wood burning oven last week and fired it up last night, with mixed results so was searching in how to cook in them when came across this forum
I think I have attached a photo, its made from a stainless steel keg 3/4 cut then laid flat with the top removed two parts of scaffold poles for chimneys, then covered in a fair few layers of sand and cement, I know its only a small size can really only fit one large pizza I when the coals are pushed back, what do you guys think, I would really like some feedback as I kinda just made it from my mind I didn't really get any advice or read up about them jus looked at some photos and cracked on
Cheers guys
Attached Thumbnails
Hi all from a newbie-image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hi all from a newbie

Well, let me be the first to say welcome to the forum.

If you search out the forum you will find much more substantial ovens.

Two things are quite obvious, you seem to have no. Insulation so your oven will be really only usable for pizza and othe live fire foods, and you will want a much larger flue on your next oven as I am sure at some point you will get the itch to build a more useable one.

You should be able to make some good food in this one but...

I find that even with my 42 inch oven it is much easier to work with several smaller 12 inch size pizzas than to try to manage one large one. And guests really like the variety that can be made with little effort.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm surprised that thin pizza stone has not cracked already. Some underfloor insulation with some firebricks for a floor would be my first modification. The two flue pipes do seem a bit inadequate in diameter, although an updraft system does not require as large a flue as a cross draft. The lack of smoke staining on the front indicates that it's working ok. You could also easily cover the dome with 3-4" of 10:1 vermicrete to insulate it, which will improve its performance, then think about making a door. A couple of small upturned tins could be used to close the two flue pipes to retain heat.

Last edited by david s; 08-16-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am surprised you can get the pizzas to stick to the roof
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Master Builder

DJ
That's funny, i dont care who you are.
T

Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Serf

Ha ha ha I'd not seen the thumbnail was upside down, when I click omit it seems fine, good tips guys, the bottom 'slab' is two inch of slate so is quite stable and under that didn't seem to get hot so slate seems to hold the heat in quite well I accept you ideas for a bigger flu, I cut a largish hole in the top to fit the pipes in, it's about 6 inches by two but could easily be opened up larger, I was thinking of maybe using a baked bean can sized flu ? Would that work do you think, also would it be best to remove the existing layer of concrete and replace with this vermiculite/perlite concrete mix or can I just put a few layers on the top ?
Thanks again for the advice guys
Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I'm surprised that thin pizza stone has not cracked already. Some underfloor insulation with some firebricks for a floor would be my first modification. The two flue pipes do seem a bit inadequate in diameter, although an updraft system does not require as large a flue as a cross draft. The lack of smoke staining on the front indicates that it's working ok. You could also easily cover the dome with 3-4" of 10:1 vermicrete to insulate it, which will improve its performance, then think about making a door. A couple of small upturned tins could be used to close the two flue pipes to retain heat.
The flu pipes are both 3.5cm diameter pipes, I could easy upgrade them to a bean can sized flu, would that make it better ? And forgive me to ask but, if the smaller flu's are inadequate why then would I need to close them off to increase heat ? Surely then smaller flus would also help to keep the heat in,

It would be quite easy to add a big layer of vermacrete to help insulate.

Also the base is 2 inch slate and seems to be very good at keeping the heat in, the underneath didn't get very hot

Last edited by Bonnox; 08-20-2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnox View Post
The flu pipes are both 3.5cm diameter pipes, I could easy upgrade them to a bean can sized flu, would that make it better ? And forgive me to ask but, if the smaller flu's are inadequate why then would I need to close them off to increase heat ? Surely then smaller flus would also help to keep the heat in,

It would be quite easy to add a big layer of vermacrete to help insulate.

Also the base is 2 inch slate and seems to be very good at keeping the heat in, the underneath didn't get very hot
Welcome Bonnox.

You really need to read the forums on how the heat is retained, there is tons of research to be done on here.

Start here. (A newbies survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives)

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Serf

Tried getting the Pompeii oven download but it wouldn't let me for some reason cos I'm in the uk,
Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Hi all from a newbie

Pompeii Oven Plans2.0

try this link

Texman