Old 05-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Serf

Default Hello from Maine

. I have never seen a wfo in person, but the idea of building/having one has always appealed to me. After last years kneading conference was talked about in our local newspaper (I would have attended had I known, I'm about 30 Min's away) I decided to commit to building one.

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted and how to build it. Then I found this forum yesterday and realized I HAVE A TON TO LEARN

I have been reading here a lot but have not found much on what style of oven is the best for overall cooking (pizza, bread, roast, etc). Any thoughts on that? My Main focus is pizza, but I would like to experiment with other things.

Any other Mainers here? I'm in Pittsfield, a one stop light town just North of Waterville.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene travis Bickford View Post
. I have never seen a wfo in person, but the idea of building/having one has always appealed to me. After last years kneading conference was talked about in our local newspaper (I would have attended had I known, I'm about 30 Min's away) I decided to commit to building one.

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted and how to build it. Then I found this forum yesterday and realized I HAVE A TON TO LEARN

I have been reading here a lot but have not found much on what style of oven is the best for overall cooking (pizza, bread, roast, etc). Any thoughts on that? My Main focus is pizza, but I would like to experiment with other things.

Any other Mainers here? I'm in Pittsfield, a one stop light town just North of Waterville.
GTB

Getting advice about the best all around 'style' of oven is like asking whether to buy a Ford or Chevy

Most here are sold on the traditional Italian oven, with its thousands of years of use. I suggest you build a pompeii oven and tailor it to your interests. If you want to cook bread, you can make a thicker floor and put a little more mass on the outside of your dome, that is all the tweaking yo need do. If you want just pizza, you can make the top of the dome a little more flat (as opposed to hemispherical). In any case, the answers are in the pompeii plans. You can find a link to download them at the blue link in my signature.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.