Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Peasant

Default Hello from Ireland

Hi all from Ireland. I have been going through different builds here for the past few weeks and am amazed at how competent ye all are and the great ovens that have been completed.
I hope to build a 36" oven with 3" soldiers like fxpose to save space. I have been sourcing as much of the materials and info before i start and have a few questions.
1. I hope to get used or even unused high quality furnace fire bricks which i suspect have a very high alumina content for free but i have read in the Pompeii ebook that these bricks get very hot. Does this mean that they are unsuitable for pizza oven.
2. I have not been able to source a dry refractory mortar only a ready mix which is expensive and has a maximum joint thickness of 3mm. The refractory people tell me the joints should not be bigger than this ( tight is right). Where it would be great to compound cut every brick i don't think i have they ability or the patience to do that. I have seen lots of projects here with big outside joints and homemade mortar which i hope haven't fallen apart even though the "experts" here tell me will. Any views?
3. Stucco seems to be an American term. Is this just sand and cement plaster.
I know i'll have loads of questions as i progress and thanks in advance for any help .
Tom
Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Serf

Default Re: Hello from Ireland

hi, i,m in ireland too, did you source any materials yet ? where did you get them ?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Peasant

Hi Ron
Yes I got sorted out with everything and my oven is up and running although not in the present weather. I managed to source most of my materials locally but if you are thinking of building and have trouble getting materials then try Dineen Refractory in Athy as they will have everything you will need.
Tom
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublintom View Post
Hi all from Ireland. I have been going through different builds here for the past few weeks and am amazed at how competent ye all are and the great ovens that have been completed.
I hope to build a 36" oven with 3" soldiers like fxpose to save space. I have been sourcing as much of the materials and info before i start and have a few questions.
1. I hope to get used or even unused high quality furnace fire bricks which i suspect have a very high alumina content for free but i have read in the Pompeii ebook that these bricks get very hot. Does this mean that they are unsuitable for pizza oven.

Bill's reply:
I used them for my oven and they work well. In that they are white in color it is helpful to tell when the oven reaches a good temperature to start making pizza. Once the soot is burnt off the oven should be 1000 F.

2. I have not been able to source a dry refractory mortar only a ready mix which is expensive and has a maximum joint thickness of 3mm. The refractory people tell me the joints should not be bigger than this ( tight is right). Where it would be great to compound cut every brick i don't think i have they ability or the patience to do that. I have seen lots of projects here with big outside joints and homemade mortar which i hope haven't fallen apart even though the "experts" here tell me will. Any views?

Bill's reply:
I used standard mortar mix and added fire clay to the mix to make refractory mortar. The joints are traditional mud joints used in bricklaying here 3/8th to 1/2 of an inch or so on the big side. They have held up after many hot fires and cold winters over the past 4 years.

3. Stucco seems to be an American term. Is this just sand and cement plaster.

Bill's reply:
Yup, it is mortar mix with extra sand.

I know i'll have loads of questions as i progress and thanks in advance for any help .
Tom
I hope my answers above help you.
Bill P.'s Page - My Wood Oven
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Ireland

Do you have any pictures of your oven to share?

Congratulations on finishing your oven!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Peasant

hi dublintom are you still making pizza . i am just starting my oven.just putting founds in tomorrow . might take me a bit of time to get it fired . have you any pic of your oven. im living in wexford and am from crumlin.. is there anywhere to buy fire clay in ireland

Last edited by jonlovepizza; 04-07-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: wish to ad to qustion . was ment for dublintom.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Peasant

hi tom up to slab level finding this bit a little hard ,,not good with wood only at setting it a lite ..because of my up bringing bit of a stater me .. how is your oven going . have my 2 boys helping . well when they want to .or in mood to help .can not wait to fail at my first pizza .