Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Apprentice

Default Hello from California

Hello everyone, I became interested in building a brick oven several months ago, and started researching here on the web. Thankfully, I discovered this site. I absolutely fell in love with the Pompeii brick oven, and have decided that I must build one. Even though I have zero mechanical skills, I am hopeful that this site will help me become a competent brick oven builder.

"Pizza, the world's most perfect food."
Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Hello from California

Won't be long and you will be giving advice. Welcome to the group and your new addiction.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
I am hopeful that this site will help me become a competent brick oven builder.
"
Hmmm. Maybe only a complete obsessed pizza craving frustrated oven builder. To become a competent brick oven builder I think James has to dub you with a peel

Bruce
Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Welcome aboard,

Gilroy is just up the road from us. Great pizza oven weather -- and home of Jeff Garcia. I am picturing garlic pizza!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Garlic pizza?? That'll keep the vampires away. James - Is Jeff a relative of Jerry?

Welcome.
I've no idea where Gilroy is. I lived in CA for nine years. It's a big state, huh?
Anyway, welcome. James is a great host. He's something of our Godfather around here. Read up, ask questions, search the forum for answers. You can count on the members to get your oven finished and get you cooking in style.

-
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Apprentice

Ahhh, garlic pizza....I can't wait! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. For Gjbingham, Gilroy is about 30 minutes south of San Jose. (I hope that helps). As soon as I get a little deeper into the building process, I will post some photos of my 42" Pompeii. I am going to be following the plans that are posted on this site. So far I have only dug out a 80" x 94" x 6" area for the foundation. Tomorrow the majority of the items listed on the "Materials needed" page, will be delivered to my house, and I will start the forms for the foundation. Getting Closer!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool! Take pics and post 'em. Look forward to seeing you progress.

I did a Mapquest of Gilroy. After 11 plus trips of WA to So. Cal, I never came close. I did Monterey an Pebble Beach a couple of times. That's about as close as I got to you. Normally, that's the near the area where I''m doing 90 up I-5 hoping the police aren't out and about.

-
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Journeyman

Welcome to Forno Bravo PizzaJNKY.

I've no idea where Gilroy is but I'm pretty sure thats where they have the famous garlic showground, hence James' reference to garlic pizza. I watched the food network garlic challenge from there, on Home channel, not long ago.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

For everyone outside of NorCal, Gilroy is the garlic capital of the U.S. During harvest season, you can drive through the town and the entire place has the fragrant aroma of toasted garlic.

Even if you don't know the rules of American football, Jeff Garcia was the former quarterback of the San Francisco 49er's and is currently with Tampa Bay. Star of Gilroy high school.

Here is the link to the Gilroy garlic festival. A major foodie gathering, where the freeway backs up for miles just to get into the parking area.

Gilroy Garlic Festival

James

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Apprentice

Here's an update on my progress. Sorry still no photos, but I will eventually get them up here.

So far, I have completed the foundation slab, 80"x94" x 6" maybe a little deeper. I ended up using 52 80# bags of sacrete that I mixed in a rented mixer. I've never done concrete work before, and it was not as bad as I thought. I think the mixer made a difference though. I can not even imagine mixing the concrete with a shovel.

Now that its dry, I went out and checked it for levelness. Sadly, its not perfect in all spots, and looks homemade, but the spots where I plan to set the blocks down is level. Now that I've finished it, I noticed that alot of the people on this site, put rebar into the slab to secure the block wall. (Man I wish I had done that!) I guess what I will do now, is drill into the concrete and put in some rebar. I think that should still work.

For those of you that have done this work already, I have a question about the insulation slab. I am interested in either using the FB Board, or a refractory type insulation cement, like (Delta Crete 35). Has anyone used either of these products, or at least have an opinion on which method will be best?