Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 AM
Laborer

Default hello all

Thought I better introduce myself.
Paul from Sandhurst, Melbourne Australia.
I'm a foodie of sorts and love cooking of all sorts.
Setting up a new outdoor cooking area which is incorporating a wood fired oven.
Very exciting, and very pleased to stumble upon this place.
Paul
Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: hello all

Welcome, Paul! Indeed, this community is an invaluable resource and can provide much-needed clarification on just about any subject regarding WFO's. Looking forward to seeing the progress of your new cooking area.

John
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Master Builder

Welcome! Are you building it all yourself? Be sure to post pictures of your progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: hello all

Hi Paul and I welcome yet another Aussie on board.
We are certainly supplying the numbers within this forum and can proudly hold our head high.
You obviously have had a look around the forum and I dare say will spend considerable time sourcing the information and ideas that you intend running with.
I built a 40"Pompeii oven and then a new outdoor kitchen around it, so watch out, it is contagious and also expensive.
I see some firebricks on ebay in Melbourne at present which might be useful, not enough to build an entire oven but get you started.
What are your plans and timelines?

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

It's spring down under. Enjoy the season!
James

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Laborer

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
I live on a golf course and have a tiny backyard (by design as I'm not an enthusiastic gardener to say the least) My back yard measures only 8 1/2 metres wide and about 9 deep. A lovely big sliding door leads out there. there is a fall from back to front so I'm going to tier it, put a putting green on the top level (what can I say, us golfers are crazy) and save the whole bottom half for my kitchen. To be honest I was going to buy a kit or was even looking at steel ones as I like modern looks and some of the latest ones have stainless steel etc.
But now...having looked round here a bit am thinking that might be a mistake, some of the brick ovens look great. That and even though I like modern looks, I am old fashioned at heart. Decisions decisions.....
LoL

Paul
Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey pauly,
welcome to the club,,,,

Mark
Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You live on a golf course -- yep, you should be insane enough to try building an oven yourself...

Welcome to the club!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: hello all

Who knows, you could start up a sideline selling pizza to the players, they will come once the smell gets out on the fairways.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Paul, welcome to the Forum.
You say you have a "tiny backyard" but don't let that hold you back. I'm too dumb to ever convert inches to mm's or cm's like the rest of the planet is able to, but I built a 42" oven since I had the space but in hind site, I could have easily gone with a smaller oven if I had to. Easier to build, less materials and still cooks 2 decent sized pizza pies at once. Point is: you can have an amazing Pompeii style oven in almost any size setting. So good luck and enjoy the info and help from everyone here. -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread