Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Serf

Default heating with natural gas

I am in an area where using wood as a fuel source just wont work. (I can introduce some shavings at the end of the process to add flavour if required). I am therefore going to have to use natural gas to fire my oven when I construct it. I am wondering if someone has experince with this method. I plan to make a very small oven (large enough for one large pizza only).
Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: heating with natural gas

Jax,

I don't think you'll find an authority on this kind of installation since we are mostly advocates of fire. Seriously, as attractive (clean, efficient, cost-effective) as natural gas is, here in the US an approved gas-fired oven takes a special burner equipped with sensors and an alarm system should the flame fail with the gas still on.

Bottom line - the catastrophy of a natural gas exlosion is more prohibitive than the benefits of running gas. If it is not realistic to burn wood in your oven, have you considered a pizza stone for your inside gas oven?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

I think you should look at an alternative method if you just want to do one pizza at a time and not use wood.

Take a look over at pizzamaking.com and search for LBE, or even look to google on the frankenwebber.. You could get away with charcoal on those.. or gas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 PM

We officially discourage the use of gas in home ovens. It's safety is suspect: unlike an open barbeque, gas can accumulate in a closed dome. We ask all discussions of impromptu gas burners to be taken elsewhere.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.