Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Serf

Default Hearth insulation query

Hi,

My name is Shane and I have just started curing my new oven. Unfortunately it is not a Forno Bravo as I found it hard to find someone in my area (Western Australia). I found another company that I found to be excellent and have just completed a great install. I managed to build the base but had the manufacturer complete the construction of the oven. Today I managed a larger fire than I have over the last three days and noticed that there was heat on the underside of my slab. I could manage to hold my hand against the tin but only for about 20 seconds before it became intolerable. The slab is approximately 100mm thick. The manufacturer installed a ceramic insulation matt and then the hearth went on top of that. My concern is that the concrete may be getting too hot. Is this a concern? And what is the maximum temp that concrete can sustain before I should be concerned?

Any help here would be appreciated.

P.S. I have also been known to be a worry wart so feel free to let me know if I am over reacting.