Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Greetings from Texas

Hey all, I came across this website and have been overwhelmed looking over all the great WFO projects. I have attempted some projects around the house and found I really like working with stone and masonry. I built a gristmill just for folly just to see if I could carve the stone and get the woodwork right (see my website below). I hope to begin on an oven and arbor project in the near future.

I can't believe I found others that are not afraid to jump out there and try projects on this scale. Obviously it helps to have a resource such as this forum and people that are willing to share their experience and expertise. I look forward to seeking help along the way.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Greetings from Texas

Very impressive, now, if only I knew what a gristmill is I could say something intelligent.
A lot of work in that project though Scott!
Good luck with your oven planning.
Paul
Old 11-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Paul. A lot of work but therapeutic for me - though I really don't understand why. fyi - A gristmill grinds grain to flour or meal.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM

I'm a little confused. Aren't there two stones in a gristmill, one stationary and one turning? In any event it's an ambitious project, and you clearly need a brick oven to bake the results of your labors.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I'm a little confused. Aren't there two stones in a gristmill, one stationary and one turning? In any event it's an ambitious project, and you clearly need a brick oven to bake the results of your labors.
No confusion you are correct. This is the bedstone and crane without the topstone and housing. It was for pure folly and to see if I could accomplish the stone carving and woodworking. It is yard art and I now hang my hammock on it and the nearby tree. I'm looking forward to building a working WFO.

My projects:
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum.... Beautiful work on the millstone, Why not go all the way and make it operational ??

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum.... Beautiful work on the millstone, Why not go all the way and make it operational ??

Cheers
Mark
Exactly what I was thinking Mark. It seems that Millstone Man has created a work of art in his folly of a working millstone. But with all that effort and exceptional craftmanship he seems to be 90% there...to a real working model.

I touch my forelocks to you sir (Scott) as I always admire someone who takes pride in his work. I can't wait till I see what sort of would-oven you have in mind.

Many thanks for sharing this with us

Terry (C.F)

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Serf

Iam in Texas also and have started my oven would like to find local vermiculite dealer - anyone know of one?
Don
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Apprentice

Mark/Terry - Thanks for the kind words.

It was never intended to be a working model. I was more interested in the stone/wood work that would be visible than a working model that would be covered with a housing. The stone cutting was all done by hand with a hammer and chisel. I'm letting it age and deteriorate naturally as if it was abandoned from a previous time.

Now that I found this site I'm all fired up to build a working WFO! I will be incorporating a shade arbor and outdoor kitchen features as well. Looking forward to learning and sharing along the way.

My projects:
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshannon View Post
Iam in Texas also and have started my oven would like to find local vermiculite dealer - anyone know of one?
Don
Don - I have not started mine yet but I believe you should be able to find vermiculite at a nursery.

My projects: