Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Journeyman

Default Greetings from South Louisiana

Hello everyone, hope all is good with you and yours. I have been interested in building a WFO for many years now. In fact I have been gathering materials for this project for so long my wife is getting tired of seeing them. I hope to be around and read and learn from your experiences. Hopefully I will have some experiences to share in the near future.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Greetings from South Louisiana

Hello from a North Mississippian! Welcome to the forum!
Dutch
Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

CajunK,
Welcome! We love to watch builders around here. Advice is free. Always frustrating to see final oven pics posted in the photo section and we don't even know who the people are who build them.

Anyway good luck with your build. Post pics along the way. Have some fun!

-
Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Journeyman

When (<<key word here) this project gets startstarted, there will be plenty of pictures I promise.

Last edited by CajunKnight; 05-08-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Apprentice

Greetings! I am just up I-49 in North Louisiana (an entire country away), and have had my WFO since November. We used it all winter, and so far the Spring has been wonderful! We have cooked meats, casseroles, breads, vegies as well as pizzas, so I think a cajun would feel right at home cooking cajun food. Go shah.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Journeyman

You got that right. I am already planning recipes and havent layed the first brick or clay yet. Still trying to decide a game plan. So many ideas to work with and so little extra cash lol. I have only been planning this since the mid 80's but one day it will come together.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Master Builder

CK

20 years in the planning stage????>

It's time to put them first bricks down in the mud ...get going!

We look forward to the cajun recipes! (recently had a crawfish pizza on the board!)
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Apprentice

I too have been dreaming of a wood-fired oven since the 80's. Then one day last fall it was finally "time" to start. About the cost, we bought the Casa 100 and spent about as much on the enclosure as the oven itself....just be prepared. (you can see my oven on the finished ovens....its stone covered and on a 45 degree angle.) If you wanted to go "coona--" you could be very creative with your surrounds and save some money. Its just whatever kind of look you want.

As far as the funds go, have you considered making yours a mobile oven and actually take it to events and cook for money? There are several good threads about that. That would be even more expensive but you might be able to rent it out for parties, etc.

By the way, eggplant casserole is delicious cooked in the WFO....you are going to love it.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskraft View Post
We have cooked meats, casseroles, breads, vegies as well as pizzas, so I think a cajun would feel right at home cooking cajun food. Go shah.
Tell us more. I think Cajun would be something fun to try. Jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice.

Has anyone every tried this?

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Journeyman

Hmmm now you have my wheels turning in a different direction here. I have so many recipes tucked inside my head it isnt funny. Now to make them work in a WFO. I guess I need to build a WFO to start finding out. I can see doing redbeeans, gumbo or even a creole in the oven but rice and jambalaya I would have to stick to the burner method. UNLESS you start it on the burner and move to WFO to finish it off. Hmmm the possibilities are endless. BTW if anyone needs any recipes I can assist with that but be warned they are set for stoves, gas burners and camp fires so some changes may be needed. If there is a recipe you are interested in just droip me a message in my box then look for a post soon to follow.
Travis

My 44" oven in progress...