Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Laborer

Smile Greetings from Peoria, IL

Just getting started. I have wanted to have a pizza oven for a long time. The website is great. I am planning to dig for my footings this weekend. And then we are going to build a combined pizza oven / outdoor fireplace.

Any pictures of that combination would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Greetings from Peoria, IL

George
I hate to rain on your parade but a pizza oven and outdoor fireplace are two very different animals. A pizza oven is designed to hoard heat like a miser and allow as little as possible to escape. A pizza oven is very efficient.A fire place is designed to radiate heat and by design loses heat to the outside. Fireplaces are nice to look at but not very efficient.
As I see it you have two basic choices.
1. build a beautiful pizza oven ( no fireplace) and enjoy the look of the flames during heat up. Look at the forum for some beauty shots of pizza fires.
2. Build a beautiful pizza oven and a seperate outdoor fireplace. Look at James's outdoor kitchen for a really nice looking example.

You might be able to build a top/ bottom combination. I think someone on the forum might have done that. But the engineering is complicated and the building finicky.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Ask lots of questions. Better to ask the questions now before committing to brick. Besides, all of the builders live vicariously through you and are depending on you to keep them entertained

Last edited by brokencookie; 05-30-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Journeyman

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If you came seeking wisdom then you have come to the right place. There is a lot of experience here and we can all learn from it.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 PM

As always: the Rumford Fireplaces page on outdoor fireplaces has good design ideas. The further the fireplace (and seating area) is from the oven (and kitchen) the better off you are.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Laborer

Broken Cookie.....thanks for the welcome. And your not raining on my party. No worries. The fireplace I am building is in the same structure, but seperate from the oven. The forum is fantastic....
Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh hey, this one might help as one way to do it (if you can work out what is where...)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...oven-3442.html (Another Swiss oven)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Peasant

I'm trying to plan out my layout so have been looking at various designs. If you do a search in forum on "outdoor fireplaces" you'll get plenty of threads discussing various issues of combining fireplace with oven.

My biggest concern with having both in same unit would be trying to use the oven while a fire is going (i.e. having a pizza party in fall) I wouldn't want to stand in front of fireplace while trying to cook, nor do you want guests huddled around fire trying to get warm as you cook. I like the attached layouts.

Or Rumford fireplaces have some great ideas like:

They also have lots of other ideas you can look over on their website at:

Rumford Fireplaces

Such as combination unit like:

Conte Rumford

Good luck! I'm actually finding the research and planning most enjoyable. Almost dread start of actual work...
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM

It looks good: you might consider putting the roofed area over the kitchen rather than the seating area: There's going to be lots of time you want to cook outside in inclement weather, but most folks won't want to sit out, even under a roof, when it's raining.

Good call on separate fireplace and cooking areas.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Planning; fun.

Building; funner.

Cooking; funnest.

It only gets better. :-)
James

Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Laborer

Got my pad poured last weekend. Hopefully start laying the block this weekend. I plan to order my block tomorrow for Friday delivery......I will take pictures of the progress. Hoping to be cooking in July.....