Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Serf

Default Greetings from Mid Michigan

What a wonderful site. I'm researching WFOs construction and operations. We are in the planning stages of a Licensed kitchen for maple syrup,jams and jellies, sorghum syrup, honey and a bakery. I believe that there is a movement for local food and it will only get stronger with the last tomatoe and beef recalls. People want to know who the maker/baker is and I'm hoping that this will devople into my retirement job. Keep up the good work and I will keep gleaning info as we go along and maybe someday I can be a guru at this art form.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Greetings from Mid Michigan

Firetech,

Welcome to the forum! Keep reading, you'll soon be hooked and will be planning your own WFO!

Where are you in Mid Michigan? I live in Saginaw. I'm just starting my construction (well, I started quite awhile ago, but I'm not very far!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Master Builder

Welcome firetech! I'm on the other side of the lake, in mid Wisconsin. I agree with your thoughts about local food. Don't forget the added effects of gas prices - it's getting expensive to ship anything across the country. I'm just not sure I can give up those great Michigan blueberries and peaches! (I grew up near the lake by the Indiana/Michigan border; fruit central!)

Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Journeyman

Welcome to the forum
I run a small scale jam/jelly/syrup operation ( besides my pizza oven obsession) and found it to be a great deal of fun to create things that my customers request. I am in the process of making root beer jelly and Crannana jam ( bannanas and cranberries). Here is a link to the pectin company I use. Even if you do not use them they have a great technical helps page and are great people to work with.

Pacific Pectin - Home

I think you are right that people want to know who is making their food. I have been doing this for about 10 years and the demand is going up, despite the fact that my prices are higher than Costco. I promote my product as a premium Hand-Made product and actually encourage my customers to go to Wal-Mart. If they are looking for cheap nasty tasting strawberry jam ( made with high frutose corn syrup) - then Wally World is your store. However, if you want a high quality, hand made cranberry applebutter, come see me.
Cane sugar is making a comeback - look at Jones soda sales
Old 07-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Master Builder

welcome....hope you can post some photos of your operations....
and the oven build too!