#1  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Serf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coburg, Oregon
Posts: 1
Default Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to register. My oven can't get hot enough for real pizza, so I guess it's essential that I get a wood fired oven (at least that is what I told my wife ).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Serf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 17
Default Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Welcome japhroaig! That is the same experience with me. I tried for years rigging up systems with bricks and baking stones inside kitchen ovens and gas grills before deciding that there was no way around this massive project. Great pizza and bread can be made without one, but it is no good knowing that you can do much better.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 AM
marklewis's Avatar
Peasant
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: north carolina
Posts: 36
Default Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Welcome & greetings from North Carolina: It looks like we joined the forum at the same time. Why not do as I have done to cure the WFO itch and build a cob oven until you decide where and how big to build, etc. Plus you can learn a lot along the way, have a lot of fun, have a completed oven earlier, and have a backup oven, etc.

Check out my cob/clay oven thread:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ild-12388.html (Cob Oven Build)

I definitely want to build a full brick oven, but it has been very satisfying working with the earth and having an oven that cost only perhaps a hundred dollars. (including block, etc.) If you have access to used block etc. and want to scout around for building materials you could have a semi-permanent oven for even less. I recommend at the least you buy and use firebrick for the hearth and vermiculite/concrete mix (5 to 1 mixed very dry) under the firebrick.

Give it a try or start building the permanent oven: otherwise your gonna keep itching for some flame!!! Regardless best of luck and let me know your status!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
marklewis's Avatar
Peasant
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: north carolina
Posts: 36
Default Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruced View Post
Welcome japhroaig! That is the same experience with me. I tried for years rigging up systems with bricks and baking stones inside kitchen ovens and gas grills before deciding that there was no way around this massive project. Great pizza and bread can be made without one, but it is no good knowing that you can do much better.
Hey Bruced; find any gold nuggets out there in Placerville, CA?? I've been panning before but only got "flour" and flakes. A nice nugget could pay for your WFO!! Ha Ha.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 131
Default Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

hey oregonian
take the regulator out of the BBQ and get a stone and you get 800+

Or get your feet muddy

I am building my second oven in process now

Chris
Bend, Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Serf
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 17
Default Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklewis View Post
Hey Bruced; find any gold nuggets out there in Placerville, CA?? I've been panning before but only got "flour" and flakes. A nice nugget could pay for your WFO!! Ha Ha.
I wish! your knowledge of geography is impressive. There are buried goldmines all over this town, and we are just up the hill from Coloma, the site that started the gold rush.

That oven looks great. Maybe I should consider starting that way, but I am about ready to pour my foundation. Otherwise it may take a year or longer!

Bruce
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM
marklewis's Avatar
Peasant
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: north carolina
Posts: 36
Default Re: Greetings from Coburg Oregon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruced View Post
I wish! your knowledge of geography is impressive. There are buried goldmines all over this town, and we are just up the hill from Coloma, the site that started the gold rush.

That oven looks great. Maybe I should consider starting that way, but I am about ready to pour my foundation. Otherwise it may take a year or longer!

Bruce
Good luck and have fun with your oven build. Keep a thread of your build and I will track: I'll surely need advice when I build my permanent Pompeii oven.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flatbread Community Oven - Bend Oregon Jed Brick Oven Restaurant Reviews 3 01-29-2014 06:05 PM
My Outdoor Kitchen in Bend, Oregon 100million Outdoor Kitchen Design 13 07-11-2011 10:29 PM
Ken's, Portland, Oregon USA bouchette Brick Oven Restaurant Reviews 4 06-04-2010 08:19 AM
Hi from Oregon mine Introductions 7 12-13-2007 10:36 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC