Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Peasant

Default Greetings from Bedford, Va.

Hey Folks,
While searching the web for brick oven info, I ran across this forum. Looks like everything I need to know about brick ovens can be found here.
The plan is to build the 42 inch Pompeii oven as part of an outdoor kitchen which will be an extension of my back deck. Hope to build a gas grill into the kitchen as well. I've found a source of the firebrick and already have a large pile of 8 in. cinder block. Will probably pick up a masonry saw from Harbor Freight since they have them on sale now. ( I had been trying to figure out what to buy myself for Christmas and it looks like it will be a saw.)
I have greatly enjoyed reading the various posts here and look forward to reading many more.

Later

George Stein
Bedford, Va.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Greetings from Bedford, Va.

George Welcome!

I used to live in Forest, VA.

You came to the right place!!!

Enjoy the journey and take lots of pics!

I'm in Lynchburg occassionaly and always ready to help!

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Peasant

Hey Cristo,
Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking forward to getting started on this oven. It's really a lousy time to be starting on an outdoor project but at least I can gather all the materials and begin getting the site ready.
Later

George
Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Laborer

You'll need at that time just to read what you need to know on this forum.....BEWARE... this forum is addictive...just when you think you know what your going to do, you'll see something and change your mind ...lol
Have lots of fun and enjoy the company
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Greetings from Radford! This is a great place, and they're right- it's addictive. From the forum to the building to the cooking in your wfo. As a matter of fact, I was looking at tandoori yesterday..... and caught myself wondering how hard it would be to build one! Before you know it, you'll have a whole outdoor kitchen!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Peasant

I found out within the first day of finding this forum that it was addicting. I've spent quite a few hours reading and watching the videos.
When I first started thinking about building a WFO, I figured it would be a really difficult task. I think it will probably still be a little difficult, but this forum has filled in many of the questions I had. Difficult but not impossible.

George
Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Difficult but not impossible
The difficult part is mostly just the heavy lifting. If I did it again, I'd get in hired or volunteer muscle for the stuff like slab pouring and material moving. There's nothing technically difficult about oven building if you have good info to start out with. The number one mistake, bar none, is insufficient insulation. That's not likely to happen if you spend any time here.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Apprentice

Welcome to the forum George! Your gonna appreciate finding this place even more than you know! I know that I do, and more than I know

Travis
Old 12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Greetings from Bedford, Va.

Hi George, from 'down under'!
Quote:
( I had been trying to figure out what to buy myself for Christmas and it looks like it will be a saw.)
This is a wise move as it leave you available for other gifts from the wife and kids.
I bet after you complete your oven, that you will have a list of things on your wish list.
All the best with your research, your planning and construction.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Peasant

Hey Folks,
Thanx for all the replies and encouragement. I am really getting excited about getting started. I have been playing around with Google Sketchup7 and am having a ball. As soon as I figure out to upload a pic file here I will upload my proposed design.

Merry Christmas

George Stein
Bedford, Va.