Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Serf

Default Greetings, All ...

Good morning everyone!

I found this site while looking for a good pizza dough recipe. Now I've been bitten by the bug to build a WFO. I've been baking pizzas in my Big Green Egg with good results but am limited to one decent sized pizza at a time. I have also begun baking bread in the "egg" and need more space. I found out that, once your neighbors learn that you are baking fresh bread on a regular basis, they want to be your best friend! I'll keep posted as my design develops.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Greetings, All ...

Hey Fatdog,

Welcome to the group.

I have heard great things about the egg. If you do get to build an oven, I bet you will use the oven more! Does all of the cooking work you suggest, only better than possible with an egg.

Read as much as you can on the forum, read the Pompeii plans book, keep us posted on your planning progress, and be ready to send in pictures. We like pictures.

These ovens are a lot of fun to build and even more fun to use.

Best!

JED
Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Apprentice

Welcome to the forum Fatdog. There is a pretty large group of us that are recent members and in varying stages of design and builds, and a really large group of very experienced folks that will more than happy to impart their wisdom on any problems or question we encounter along the way!

I am curious about the Big Green Egg, not for pizzas and bread or even baking things, which my oven (as soon as I build it, will do very well). I am curious what it really does well, and what you think it will do for you better after you have a wood fired oven along side?

If you have a wood fired oven, do you still think you will want the BGE, or would a plain smoker or open grill do? I am definitely building the oven, but I want to agment that with a grill of some kind (maybe, given the capabilities of a Tuscan grill in the oven).

Nice to have you here,
Travis
Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Master Builder

Okay, I'm clueless on what a "Big Green Egg" is. Can you fill me in? And welcome, fatdog!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Apprentice

It looks like a weber, but has refractory mass completely around the inside, so it is like a little pizza oven that you can lift the top off of I don't know much about them either, but when I saw one at a store when I was looking for patio furniture, I was way curious!!

Travis
Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Serf

Re: What will I do with my egg when I build a WFO ...

Because I am a good southeastern North Carolina boy, I will continue to use it to make BBQ and smoked pork ribs better than you can get anywhere else. Also, the egg could be a great "first fire" choice when making only a few pizzas or loaves of bread ... keeps from firing the oven.

As far as what the egg is, there is a good bit of information at:

Big Green Egg, World's Best Smoker and Grill

Like this site, there is a really good forum in which people are more than happy to help you learn the ropes.

Thanks for all the good replies to my inital message. I look forward to becoming a member of the WFO fraternity.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Apprentice

And thanks for the link to the BGE site!
Travis