Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Laborer

Default Future builder in Central Texas (Lakeway)

Hi all!

Pfennig in Lakeway TX here!

I'm a ways away from construction, but starting on destruction now. See, I have this old above ground hot-tub that we never use. The wood surround is finally rotting out from under the layers of preservative, and it's an eyesore. Time for it to go.

Translation: I have a 7' 8" wide by 8' 0" deep concrete slab already set into my flagstone patio.
(anyone want a cheap fiberglass hot-tub? it is functional)

Since the slab under the hot-tub isn't exactly attractive, I will need to do something there eventually. I thought about an in-ground pool, but that is a lot of money and effort, and I don't particularly like drowning pits around the kids. I thought about a full outdoor kitchen, but a square isn't exactly the right shape for that. I thought about a firepit, but I don't have natural gas at my house and a wood burning pit sounded really messy/smoky.

Then I found Forno Bravo..... YES!

I'm not planning a huge 8'x8' pizza oven , but I am considering combining a pizza oven, propane grill, and propane firepit into my square area. So I spent Thanksgiving reading many threads about oven construction, and hope that sometime before next summer I might start construction on a ~46" outer insulated diameter dome build!

I've joined the Texas group here, and found some other TX builders (e.g. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/b...xas-17263.html (Body from central Texas) -- Dripping Springs is near Lakeway). Hopefully I'll be able to lean on a few folks for tips on where to get supplies.

I've sketched out my general plan on Sketchup, will try to post a pic next...
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Future builder in Central Texas (Lakeway)

I've put a pic in a new thread titled "Square kitchen on old hottub slab. Ideas?" in the outdoor kitchen forum:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...eas-18653.html (Square kitchen on old hottub slab. Ideas?)
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Future builder?

Id like my future built, what do you have in store for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Serf

Howdy!

We just finished our own oven up here in West ( 1/2 hour outside of Waco). It was over a year in the planning and building, as we worked hard to scrounge bricks and find sources for needed materials.

If you are in need of stuff ( we have some to sell reasonably or negotiable for a bundle ).....we have left over bricks, some ceramic blanket, a brick saw (Harbor Freight special!!).

You are going to love the process, no matter how long it takes you. The first time I cooked a pizza ( under 90 secs ) was amazing! And the fact that the oven holds on to temps for 2 or 3 days makes cooking lots of fun! So many different opportunities!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Serf

Welcome,

This forum was invaluable in my build, and I'm sure you will have a successful build. The brick saw I used was my most resourceful tool.

I have two forms that I used for my arches, you are welcome to them.

Our oven has been better than I could ever imagine.