Old 07-12-2014, 03:38 AM
Serf

Default First oven from Norfolk uk

Hi building my first oven, going for a barrel type, internal measurements of the vault 34" max height of 24" with the depth around 40"
Just trying to work out the opening and the chimney arrangement any advice would be most helpful
Attached Thumbnails
First oven from Norfolk uk-image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Serf

Default Re: First oven from Norfolk uk

Ok so I'm up and running. I have around an inch of celotex in the base, I can lift the base bricks up if that's not enough and insert a little more and just rebed the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Serf

Bricks cut and cemented in, still looking at the flue and opening size, I think I read 63% of the oven area for the opening size.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 AM
Journeyman

Nice looking brick work. Did you use the 3:1:1:1 formula for mortaring? Are these bricks the type called in the UK "Engineering blue bricks"? Although many people don't prefer this kind of bricks, I've seen many ovens built from that material and are running well.
I see that you are insulating the hearth with celotex insulation, but I see the back arch coming in contact with the fence back there. You have left a sufficient space for insulation and enclosure on the sides of the oven but didn't do for the back of the oven.
Regarding the opening, I was educated that the height is better to be 63% of the internal oven height and that the width be around half the oven width. The space in front of the oven looks a little tight to me for the vent to be installed. I
I think you are fairly at early stages to make some modifications at the front and rear of the oven. Just wait for comments from the forum.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Serf

thanks v12 for the opening advice, I have a second skin of bricks to fit after the insulation goes on, the pictures do make it look close to the fence but I have a good gap there I hope lol. The mortar is kos ready mix fire cement so easy to use.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Serf

Well I finally got back on the project and have 6 bricks to lay and she is done!
Little bit more insulation to pour in the top and then the door sort out, double skin flue was ok to fit, I possible could have done with a litre more length in the design. Tried it last week and got the dough all wrong tasted awful, 3-4 pizzas were thinner came out a lot better, still I do need to fill the rest up with insulation to help with heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Serf

Hi,
That's a great looking oven. I'm just starting my project (in Sussex, England) and I'm really stuggling to source 6" or 8" chimneys or flues. Where did you get yours - or can anyone offer me suggestions please? Ideally I'd like a 48" or taller ceramic type flue, but I'd be happy with a double skinned stainless steel one if I can find one at anywhere near an affordable price.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Serf

Hi Matt I had 2 bits left over from a project,(wood burner) install so I used one of those. eBay there is always something floating about fella. I picked the the marble from eBay that I am fitting to the front. Anyone used marble to cook on? Not sure it could withstand the heat?
Old 09-28-2014, 06:19 AM
Journeyman

Questions:
1- The door looks rather narrow to me. Why did you choose that?
2- Do you fill the space between the blue bricks and the outer red bricks with loose insulation like perlite or vermiculite?
3- Did you mean to use marble for the hearth? Marble will crack under thermal cycling which is at most on the hearth.
Interested to see some pictures for your progress if you have.