Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Serf

Default Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!

Hello from NZ, where, after a lot of tinkering and economizing (unfortunately firebricks are $7 a pop here!), I've decided to try out a hybrid - half discarded Jotul cast-iron stove from Norway, half dodgy masonry-novice barrel-vault.

I've read a lot about different types of issues on this forum (including the heating differentials between iron and brick), but I'm hoping that with a bit of luck the thing will work.

I've attached some photos of the site and the base being poured...trying to keep the kids out of the concrete was the toughest task! Next I'm planning on vermicrete or perlcrete under hearth insulation.

I think this build might provide some entertainment for all of the people out t here who (to their deserving credit) have built such amazing and beautifully masterful ovens!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc01860small.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03362.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03421.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03451.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03454.jpg  

Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03464.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!

Looks like a winner! Keep the photos coming!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Master Builder

Be interesting to follow your progress. It is something very different but everything is worth a crack. $7 for firebricks is a bit rough. I thought that since there would have been more call for fireplaces and things in the land of the long white cloud that they might be a bit more reasonable.

Like Jeeppiper said, keep the photos coming.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Wildflower
Ive been looking at your pic of the norse firebox and thinking of how I would convert it into an oven of sorts.
Internal Chimney...blank it off. you don't want the heat to escape straight out of the oven, you want it to linger around and exit the door so the Mass of the oven is heated. you can always build one on the front externally.

Oven height to door height..... with wanting to get the most out of the heat before it exits the oven you'll want the door to be a smit lower than 2/3 of the height of the roof inside your oven. From the pics it looks more like 4/5s.
I recon a layer of Pearlite/cement inside the oven up to the bottom of the current door. A layer of Pressed Clay Pavers on this to form you oven floor. This should get this closer.

Oven Mass..... The steel will heat up fast and cool down just as fast. A layer of material to store this heat in so its not wasted and give you extended and steady cooking is needed. Cladding the oven in a lime rich cement mix could work. A layer of brick or pavers is another. Roughly 50 mm to 100 mm is usable.

Insulation..... Now you have a mass to store heat in you will need to stoping it from escaping (and burning little fingers) so an insulation layer is needed under and over the oven. Its important, if nothing else is perfect this will go a long way to redressing the balance. Probably pearlite cement would be good and cheaply available.
Anyway just some ideas you might find useful

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Serf

Hey there,
Thanks for the posts, and Dave, thanks for taking further interest!
My research (primarily based on this website) suggested that this MAY work, and therefore my plan at the moment is:

Pour cement "frame" for the vermicrete insulation. This will be about 150mm thick, and come inside the oven and raise the floor of the oven by about 20mm. This, plus the height of the firebrick placed on top, leaves an opening height of 230mm. Applying the magic factor, that would mean an ideal internal dome height of 365mm. Does this sound about right?

To lower the internal height of the cast iron oven (which will be the front third of the oven), I'm thinking of lining it with firebricks (two on their narrow side at each side, and then 4 of so over the top, balanced on flat steel rectangular pieces (not mortared, so expansion should not pose a problem?). There will be a gap under the outlet for the flue.

The back two thirds of the oven will be composed of two arches of firebricks (a la Annie's M's oven), with the usual back wall. The height of this arch would be 365mm. The floor would extend off to the left of the oven, which would happily result in an off-set door, so I could put the fire/wood to one side while cooking.

The walls of the bricked part of the oven would be supported with 25mm ceramic fiberboard backed against grills from the dump pushed up against the rebar rods I've pre cemented at (hopefully) the right spots. This may help the no doubt dodgily built walls from collapsing under the forces of the arch.

So, lining the cast iron stove with firebricks will hopefully increase the thermal mass and make the door/oven height dimensions within cooee. Then, to insulation: I was thinking of putting a few layers of cermaic fibre blanket over the whole lot, then wrapping in chicken wire, then a few layers of stucco. Vermiculite is $70 for 100 L bag here - so not a cheap option for insulation. Over the dome/arch, I would also use the ceramic blanket and chicken wire/stucco.

I've got a good bit of flue with a heavy cast iron damper within it. I was going to put that over the chimney opening, so that I can completely close off the oven.

Last of all, I'm planning on a curved overhanging roof a bit like Fornax Hominus' oven in Canada.

Phew! Makes me realise how much work we've got ahead of us. I see plenty more trips to the recyclers/dump ahead of us!

Any input/ideas and humor appreciated!
Cheers,
Wildflower.

Last edited by Wildflower; 04-12-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Wildflower
Sounds like you have a plan on the go already
I placed the thermal mass on the outside of the iron of the oven due to space.
How big a hearth floor do you end up with inside?
regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Serf

Hi Dave,
I guess it's a plan of sorts!
Anyway, the way I had envisaged it, the oven would act a bit like the entrance arch in the normal ovens, the main baking would be done out the back.
The internal width of the oven means four bricks can lie across it. With the two bricks on each side lining the oven, the width at the front is 310mm. After that, the oven cooking surface opens out to a width of 590mm. The depth of the cooking surface is 690mm.
There are a few photos here that show the basic idea with the bricks laid out on a board.
Just waiting now to pour the vermicrete under-hearth pad!
Cheers,
Zoe.
Attached Thumbnails
Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03468.jpg   Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!-dsc03469v2.jpg  

Last edited by Wildflower; 04-14-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:23 AM
Master Builder

Now it is starting to make good sense. Watching with great interest.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-14-2014, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: Experimental Norse-Kiwi Hybrid Oven!

G'day wildflower
..... Yes that makes sense now. That's a brilliant idea, making the oven your entrance way .... Sorry I just didnt see that
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 AM
Apprentice

Hi wildflower,
Interesting build. I have already designed my steel oven and built a cardboard replica for it. Ready to go to the iron fabricator to make it out of steel. I was thinking of making it hybrid to the sake of thermal mass. What is the thickness of the walls of your steel stove?