Old 06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Peasant

Default Broke ground yesterday

I've been reading the forum for a couple of months now, and just broke ground yesterday for my 42" oven. The little lady and I moved about 5 tons of Colorado river rock and the same amount of wet sand for a sturdy base. I'll be pouring the crete this Saturday and planning on working on the base over the holiday weekend. I'll be posting pictures of the progress.
KC
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Broke ground yesterday

Congratulations on the ground breaking! Tell us more about your plans.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Master Builder

cool....your past the point of no return now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

KC,

Well done; you can't look back now. Just remember: it's not a race, go slow and deliberately, think ahead. You'll only be doing this once. Okay, maybe twice, but the same advice applies.

Jim
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Peasant

The oven will the centerpiece to an outdoor kitchen. The kitchen will also have a grill and a Carolina pit BBQ and a beer tap for the home brew.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Very nice.
KC, have you done any elevation drawings? Anything you could scan and post? It would be great to track a project from inspiration through to installation.
James

Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
The oven will the centerpiece to an outdoor kitchen. The kitchen will also have a grill and a Carolina pit BBQ and a beer tap for the home brew.
Homebrew!

If you are a homebrewer, you will recognize that Canuck Jim is channeling Charlie Papazian above when he tells you to relax and enjoy this process.
Quote:
Relax! Have a homebrew!"
Perhaps in this forum we could say "Relax and have another slice!"

Since I started my project, I have had many people ask me "So...when is it gonna be DONE?" They also lick their lips and tell me how willing they will be to eat the pizza! My response is always the same - it will be done when it is done. No sooner, no later, no problem.

I have (as we all do) many deadlines in my life. Medical records has me on speed dial, my department always has another credentials packet for me to review, and I am on more dang committees than I can count. Even my upcoming dive trip is fraught with deadlines (arranging hotel, getting scuba gear serviced, setting up rendezvous with the other couples...)

My oven is my project, my hobby, and it will be done when it is done.

Today I was supposed to pick up firebrick. Arranged to switch cars with my wife, got out an hour early, and...the masonry supply center also got out early!

No problem! Relax and have another slice! Go to the forum, review the Pompeii plans, and dream of that first pizza!

As for the homebrew: all grain or extract? I have a killer recipe for Porter if doing all grain.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Peasant

I brew using all methods. I just picked up 3 old kegs and are now converting them. I'll start doing 10 gal batches. 5 gal goes to fast. I just started another batch of mead (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry). I have "steam" and scotch ales on tap now. Just orderd the redi-mix, and the forms are done. Working in the dark this week, putting in OT to pay for the concrete and firebrick. I'll take you up on the Porter recipe.
KC
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
I brew using all methods. I just picked up 3 old kegs and are now converting them. I'll start doing 10 gal batches.
KC
My garage has three old kegs waiting for me to finish my oven project! I too want to start on 10 gallon batches. I was thinking of creating a "beer tree" type sculpture out of angle iron. My wife made me promise that I would finish one project before starting the next.

I'll put in the Porter recipe tonight (at work now). We had a Newfoundland dog at one time named "Porter" so the recipe is called "Slobbery Dog"
Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Peasant

I just finished the last of my 50 litres of mahogeny porter home brew. (not all at once, i might add). Chocolatey and smooth ...
I used a can of extract from a brewery here called Cascade which also makes commercial beers rather than from scratch.
I'd be keen on the slobbery dog recipe though
Cheers
ian