Old 07-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Peasant

Default A big hello from Green Bay

I have an oven underway, currently to the vermiculite layer on the hearth. Looking forward to the interaction on this forum. What a great way to share information. I am a steamfitter and welder by trade so this brick and mortar thing is a bit challenging . I do have a problem listed in the "Newbie section" in that fireclay is not available in Green Bay, Orco set seems to be the thing of choice. Do I need an alternitive to set my floor on. This stuff is expensive.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Default Re: A big hello from Green Bay

"can't get fire clay" is a common complaint. They don't stock it at the big box stores. You can get it at your local brickyard or masonry supply, or if they can't get it you can try the refractory suppliers where you get your refractory insulation, or a pottery supplier. It comes in fifty pound bags, and it's cheap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Peasant

We don't have any refractory suppliers. I found one guy in Appleton selling a type of fireclay for $139 for 50lbs. The pre mix buckets seem to be all I can get. These are really nice brick yards too. Two out of the three told me the last fireclay they had went bad on the shelf and they never reordered it. The refractory insulation I have to order that too. the only supplier in town wanted $239 for 25' of 2". This seems insane.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Journeyman

HummerGB,

Search for the "fire clay" by another name. Printed on the bag I had were the words "Masons Clay" I've also heard it referred to as "mortar clay".

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Peasant

Okay I am going to hit the brickyards up agian tomorrow. I'll have to expand out to surrounding cities. Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Master Builder

For ceramic insulating blanket (and other supplies), try Milwaukee Firebrick on Miller Pkwy in Milwaukee. Their blanket rolls were $60 each a couple of years ago.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
fireclay they had went bad
Went bad? It's clay! All you need to do is keep it dry and it will last until the end of time, and even if it got wet all you would need to do is dry it out and bust it up.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Peasant

SCORE. KRC Rock.com 50# bag of Muddox fireclay shipped to my door for $14.41. Now it just needs to get here.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Peasant

This weeks progress. I think I'am getting the hang of it. The wet towels work really nice during this hot humid weather.
Attached Thumbnails
A big hello from Green Bay-img_20110720_195107.jpg   A big hello from Green Bay-img_20110721_172916.jpg   A big hello from Green Bay-img_20110721_172926.jpg   A big hello from Green Bay-img_20110721_172933.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerGB View Post
This weeks progress. I think I'am getting the hang of it. The wet towels work really nice during this hot humid weather.
I see the orientation for your arch bricks and they appear to be mortared on the narrow sides I think that unless you reinforce this area with another layer or are planning on a thermal break with insulated fire brick you may have a weak arch here.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Chip