Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Serf

Default Am I mad!!

good day folks, as the title asks " Am I mad".

im not a builder, not a whole load of experience and i want to build a wood burning oven from scratch.

I do hope that you are a kind and patient lot, as i feel a whole load of questions being posted over the next few months.

well im going to go and read a load of previous posts and hope to catch up with some of you soon.

So Hi from sunny (at the moment) Scotland.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Am I mad!!

Welcome Scotty!....I'm sure you'll find all the info you will ever need here....
of course, I know nothing....but I'm sure any questions you ask will be answered....
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1a1n View Post

im not a builder, not a whole load of experience and i want to build a wood burning oven from scratch.
You would be surprised how many of us had very little to no experience in masonry. In a year you will look back and say "damn - I'm a mason". Enjoy the adventure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Serf

1a1n,

Howdy from Texas.
I too am starting a WFO build and was out all day cutting trees, and moving concrete blocks, dirt, gravel and getting ready to not only start building my Wood Fired Oven but finishing the landscaping work around on the south/east side of my house I started eight years ago but never finished. I am so excited and inspired with my new interest of cooking Pizza/Bread in a WFO because it was the 'missing piece' of my kitchen patio 'look' and the culinary 'focal point' of the entire south/east side of my house/yard,
the 'kitchen patio'.

Also I am a Hamilton. I know Hamilton town is south west of Edinbourough but 'I can't spell it' as it has been 200 years. And that "the Hamilton deserted their kinsman the Douglas at the battle of Abercorn 1190 or so and went over to the side of the English. Thereby being rewarded with vast grants of land including the Island of Arron and the hand of the Kings own daughter."
I have been making Pizza from scratch for 35 years and BBQ-ing too! Just been trying to figure out how to build a round shaped oven with square fire bricks. {???}

{And I hope you are not a Douglas}

Ciao...

Jack the Knife
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
"the Hamilton deserted their kinsman the Douglas at the battle of Abercorn 1190 or so and went over to the side of the English. Thereby being rewarded with vast grants of land including the Island of Arron and the hand of the Kings own daughter."
I really hope that a WFO came into play with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1a1n View Post
" Am I mad".
Not yet but in time you will be totally insane about your oven build.....

Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Serf

Ta (thanks) for the repiles, look forward to getting started and having a go. The good thing is i know where to go if i am looking for any ideas or advice.

no im not a Douglas.:-) although i married a Macgregor.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Peasant

This is a great place for help and advice - from all round the world.

A particularly good forum - since once most people have finished their build - they keep coming back - always questions about technique or recipies...

It's been great weather this Easter in the UK for pizza...
Attached Thumbnails
Am I mad!!-img_0340.jpg   Am I mad!!-img_0336.jpg   Am I mad!!-img_0329.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Am I mad!!

jammyweb,
congratulations on a great display of your oven goods.
You must and should be proud.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Journeyman

Hello 1a1n,

Simple question, simple answer. No, you're not mad......yet. Soon though, maybe.

Building a wfo from scratch is an exciting and intense project. Read the free Pompeii plans for construction instructions and do your best to gather the right materials if possible. There are a few scratch builds in Scotland and many in England. We'll be here to assist when you need us.

By the way, we have a Barclay in the family. We see him often. I read your posts and hear his accent, interesting how that happens. It is a small world we live in. We share interests from across the ocean or across the street. Welcome !

Cheers,