Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Serf

Default the WRONG perlite

A friendly warning: I purchased some Miracle-Gro brand bags of perlite for my insulating concrete layer, mixed it into perlcrete and started applying it when I noticed a strong ammonia smell. Turns out (in very fine print on the bag) the perlite was "enhanced" with fertilizer. I had to rip out my lath down to the insulation blanket to avoid cooking fertilizer between the dome and stucco! Set my progress back 2 days.

Jamie
Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: the WRONG perlite

Don't buy ANYTHING that says Miracle grow.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: the WRONG perlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
A friendly warning: I purchased some Miracle-Gro brand bags of perlite for my insulating concrete layer, mixed it into perlcrete and started applying it when I noticed a strong ammonia smell. Turns out (in very fine print on the bag) the perlite was "enhanced" with fertilizer. I had to rip out my lath down to the insulation blanket to avoid cooking fertilizer between the dome and stucco! Set my progress back 2 days.

Jamie
Just drop that unusable vermiculite off here on your next trip t Dallas
Sorry for the surprise. I don't like surprises.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Serf

Default Re: the WRONG perlite

Sorry, I got so mad at it that I threw away the last batch as well (it was already wet down in the mixing tub). About to mix up another batch and get the insulating concrete on the dome today. If at first you don't succeed ...

Tags
insulating concrete, miracle-gro, perlcrete, perlite