Window for Oven Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window for Oven Door

I've been playing with the idea of having a door that has a window. My wife came home with a new pan with a glass top. I think that the heat resistance of the top would be good enough to use when baking bread. This is the time when most like to be looking in the oven to see how done is.

I would not use this door during times when I had a live fire but I would use it during times I was doing baking or other medium to low heat activities.

If you look at the photo, you'll see that the glass top has a metal rim this could easily be screwed into a piece of wood, by drilling a few holes around the perimeter.

I'm looking for some feedback on whether those of you in the forum believe this is a good idea or bad idea.

Thanks in advance

Chip
    Chip

Re: Window for Oven Door

I presume it's the same as pyrex (borosilicate glass) which goes soft around 800C... so it may be a close call..

An easy test would be to get your over as hot as your normally have it, then pop the lid (without the handle!) into the oven in a tray or something (so if it melts you don't have it all over the oven).

When you pull it out, watch out - glass has an annoying tendency to shatter if it cools down quickly!

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
      which goes soft around 800C... so it may be a close call..
      Bread baking takes place around 250c.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinal View Post
        I presume it's the same as pyrex (borosilicate glass) which goes soft around 800C... so it may be a close call..

An easy test would be to get your over as hot as your normally have it, then pop the lid (without the handle!) into the oven in a tray or something (so if it melts you don't have it all over the oven).

When you pull it out, watch out - glass has an annoying tendency to shatter if it cools down quickly!

M.
        Just for reference - I do not intend to use this door when oven temps are over 300C - 575F.

Good point on the rapid cooling I will need to be very careful if it is raining or snow is about.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Forgot that you don't use a door at full temp! (it's been a long day...)

Other than the temp-difference, I don't think it'll be an issue and even then, unless it's really cold outside, it should be fine... works on a pan after all!

I still would test it the first few times with some PPE

Comment

Well, it does get cold here in the winter -35c for those in most of the world and -30f here. And I do use the oven in the winter so I will need to be careful or not use it when really cold.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Here's one for you.....-44c=-44F
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                Here's one for you.....-44c=-44F
                Fortunately it never got that cold here. It only got to -41 F once and that was back in the late 1800's.

Did you know that snow squeaks when you walk on it when the temp reaches -20F, that is how I know it is a cold morning here.

Chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 09-02-2012, 06:33 AM.
                Chip

Comment

Hey Chip,
                  Maybe you can recover the glass from an old oven door. This was proposed in a previous post and sounds really practical. I'm not sure a wood 'gasket' would last long with your glass pan top if your bake temp is +-525F.
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    Hey Chip,
                    Maybe you can recover the glass from an old oven door. This was proposed in a previous post and sounds really practical. I'm not sure a wood 'gasket' would last long with your glass pan top if your bake temp is +-525F.
                    John
                    John,

Yes, I remember what happened to my first temporary door, turned to charcoal, heat and gas. The critical temp for wood is 451f And i want to Cook at higher temps. II have been searching craigslist for a glass door but nothing yet. I did pick up a pot cover at a thrift store for $1.00 so I think I will give it a try.

Learning curve and all that...I will report on my results.

Something pretty in the future but the budget is tight right now.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Most oven doors have two glass panels, I think apart from insulating better it would eliminate the temperature differential responsible for the glass tending to crack.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well the porthole door is done and performs beautifully, I tested it with a well saturated oven with a starting temp of 420F 215C and after two hours the temp dropped to 410F 210C so I am very happy with the performance. Ambient was about 75F 24C.

I used a 5/16 square u-bolt cut in half to provide standoffs for the wood handles. The handles are drilled in the ends so the receive the cut end of the u-bolt.

I decided to use the handle hole to put in a thermometer held in place with two silicone washers.

Here are the photos.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

I thought I should add a couple of photos with the door on the oven.

No bread inside but you can clearly see inside the oven thru the door.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

I love it. I always dislike opening the oven door when baking or roasting because you lose so much heat, especially in my small oven. This solves it.
                            Last edited by david s; 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Brilliant! I love it! What did you use in the middle of the door (besides the window)?

Comment

Working...
                              X