Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Serf

Default What Type of Saw?

I'm getting ready to build the dome and need some input on the type of wet saw to use. Do I really need a paver saw? The firebricks seem pretty pourous. Can I use a saw with smaller amps?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What Type of Saw?

If you are buying, look for a 10" 1 1/2hp motor. That would be my recommended starting size. If you aren't going to use it again, rent one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

SSP,

A lot of non professional WFO builders went with the cheap Harbor Freight 10" wet saw which run a little over $200. HF has the 20% off coupons all the time. Not the highest quality but does the job and fairly easy to resell when your done.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Journeyman

I second UBee

the problem with renting is that you have to have everything planned and ready to go. I found it virtually impossible to get all brick cuts correctly ahead of time so I ended up cutting as I built. I probably used the saw on about 25-30 different days (I also used it to cut regular brick for my surrounding wall.)

The cheap Harbor Freight saw blade (which u can also get a deal on) lasted me almost the entire build. I bought another one near the end of the project in part so I can sell it with an OK blade!

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Serf

Thank you all. HF it is.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Journeyman

I didnt use a saw at all... I used a hydraulic brick splitter...worked great! no dust...no noise...minimal effort. I used a hand-grinder when I need to custom-fit the firebrick.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Master Builder

It is really all about what you can get your hands on at a reasonable price. It took me some time to get all of the cuts as the dome went up so hiring would have cost me a motza. I bought a 14" wet saw for $420, the blade has plenty of life left and I could get more than I paid for it. Seems like the way to go for me. Just have to find the right thing at the right price.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
SSP,

A lot of non professional WFO builders went with the cheap Harbor Freight 10" wet saw which run a little over $200. HF has the 20% off coupons all the time. Not the highest quality but does the job and fairly easy to resell when your done.
Which one do you mean Russ...there is a 7" 1.5 hp tile saw for 188$ or a 10" 2.5 brick saw for $259. At least that is what's on the website.

I never looked at them in person, I guess for a one off they are good.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stonecutter,
It's the 10" saw from Harbor Freight that Russell is referring. Like he said a lot of us went that route. At the moment, the saw is $250, the stand, $50, and the blade is $30. That changes with coupons, weekly sales etc. Many have bought the saw on the intentions of selling it when they are finished with the oven . Mine has become part of the family .

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can't beat that price, that's for sure! It's just not the right for me though.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin