Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Apprentice

Default wedge brick

one of our local refractory brick dealers sells arch and wedge shaped firebrick made by A P Green. has anyone used wedge brick? they are a little pricey, about twice the price, but there would be a lot less mortar in the joints. i have a wet saw, am i better off cutting my own brick?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: wedge brick

Stonylake,

You will have to make a personal choice. The good news is you can't go wrong either way.

If it is important to you to have the fire brick fit tight, you can invest the time to make that happen. Others before you have done the work and the ovens they built are beautiful.

Or

You can take the rectangular brick and form it into a dome oven and fill in all the voids with a high heat mortar.

Either oven will cook a great pizza or loaf of bread! and last a life time (or eight..)

Good luck with your build and keep us posted with pictures.

JED
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Journeyman

The wedge would give you a 9" lining???? Bit of an overkill in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
The wedge would give you a 9" lining???? Bit of an overkill in my opinion.
They are tapered from side to side, not the nine inch length. In the US, tapered firebricks are very expensive. If you are planning a cut-every-brick perfect fit dome, they will save you time and work, but there's no practical reason not to just angle your bricks with refractory mortar. You only see the inside of a finished dome, and a few little angle cuts on the visible face will go a long way toward looking like a perfect fit dome.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
arch and wedge shaped firebrick made by A P Green
if your not sure about your capabilities yet, you might want to buy them just for the arch, I did mine and as many others here, was not a mason.. I did well and as long as you take the time to think it out it will be great.. Do the cost math,,, That may help you make up our mind as well...
Cheers
Mark
Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Apprentice

thanks for the imput. i think i will end up using standard size firebrick and cut it... i may use tapered for my arch. i am going to pour my hearth slab tomorrow and be done outside for the season, i'll have a lot of time to cut brick inside this winter...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Serf

Done for the season? Come on out and help me with my build! I'm a few steps behind you.
-PaloAlto
Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Apprentice

ok, winter is over here in Michigan... I set up my wet saw in the basement over the winter and have my floor, soldier course and about 60 wedge bricks cut. i have my FB board cut, and am ready to start assembling on the hearth stand that i finished last fall.. can someone help me with a couple of questions? when i put my FB board on the hearth, what do i use for mortar/leveler? when i put the floor over the FB board, what do i level it with? i'm going to mix my own mortar using 3:1:1:1
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM

If your support slab is reasonably flat, you don't need a leveling mixture, just lay down your board, and arrange your floor bricks on top of that. If the slab is not level then a mixture of fireclay and sand spread out dry will take care of any low spots that are causing wobble. I wouldn't mortar down either the board or the floor bricks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Apprentice

thanks for the reply. i am going to pick up fireclay lime and sand today. what grade of silica should i look for?