Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Serf

Default Vent Arch Mortar

Hello, I'm at the point on my oven that i'm building the vent arch and chimney. I was wondering if it would be ok to use standard masons mortar for the vent arch and chimney? I used heat stop in the dome and everything. The vent arch i was thinking doesn't have a direct flame therefor wouldn't be as hot. I look forward to any opinions. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Vent Arch Mortar

It may get hotter than you think. Did you save any firebrick dust from your dome build? If so, you could substitute that for fire clay to make "homebrew".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Serf

Thanks for getting back to me, i didnt save any dust from cutting the bricks. I looked on the materials appendix on the forno bravo website, and for the vent arch and chimney it says standard mortar. I just wanted to check before I went ahead and used it. My oven would only be occasional use. I won't be using it every day.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Harvest the brick dust when you cut your chimney bricks. Otherwise, a bag of fireclay costs around $9.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Harvest the brick dust when you cut your chimney bricks. Otherwise, a bag of fireclay costs around $9.
And you'll have an extra 75 pounds of it forever

Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Peasant

I just used a ready mixed bag of mortar. The arch bricks do not get that hot, however i did place a piece of fibre glass rope as a heat barrier between the two arches.

My bricks are made from pumice and I can easily place my hand on the top of the dome when the interior is around 400 degrees C.