Old 09-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Topping off the bottom.

Hey all,

I built a form for my insulating layer which should closely match my oven floor.

The forms allow for about four and a half inches of perlcrete.

But I have decided to pour three and a half inches of perlcrete followed by about an inch of high temp mortar.

This should make for a very smooth and level surface to lay my bricks.

And it will add a bit of thermal mass to the oven floor, which should be beneficial.

Opinions?

I've included a picture of the forms and part of the perlcrete pour.
Attached Thumbnails
Topping off the bottom.-100_1891.jpg   Topping off the bottom.-100_1924.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Topping off the bottom.

You can't have too much insulation...

I poured my insulating layer, then found it less smooth than I would have liked, so I skim coated it with mortar. I also believe that for home use, you can have too much thermal mass - the greater the thermal mass, the slower the heat up time. If you fail to adequately heat up the mass below the oven the floor will drop temperature quickly when you transition from your heat up fire to your cooking fire. Now, if bread is your primary goal and pizza will be an occasional indulgence, then more mass may be useful. I think the trade off between an inch more mass and an inch less insulation is probably not good for either pizza or bread.

by the way, beautiful work so far.

Marc
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Topping off the bottom.

Thanks!

I guess I will fill it up. But I am gonna leave it about 1/4 inch from the top for a nice even surface.

I appreciate your input.

And sorry about your oven move, but it should be fun rebuilding or building new.

Let us know when you get started.

My costs:

My pics: