Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Serf

Default Tips for Mobile frame for Pompeii Oven

Hi Guys, my name is Dvir, I live in NY and am hoping to start build my first Pompeii oven. I am very excited to get started. I was wondering if someone had any advice for me regarding making the oven on wheels. I am thinking of welding a metal frame on heavy duty wheels and build the Pompeii oven on that. Any suggestions or helpful tips? I've been enjoying reading everyone else's success and it has given me hope for my own.
Thanks, Dvir
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Tips for Mobile frame for Pompeii Oven

Welcome Dvir,

There are several folks who have worked on and built mobile ovens that have reported on this forum... A wealth of information for you.

The easiest way to access these discussions is to use the "search" function and search for 'mobile ovens'. The list that comes from that search will keep you busy for a long time, reading other people's results with the process of building a mobile oven.

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted on your progress. Pictures are a good way to tell your story!

JED
Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Serf

I am building one and will share pics as soon as the shackles of serfdom are released.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Serf

Hey, thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the Pompeii Tuscan 42" oven. I am going to make a wood frame from double 2X4" and I'm going to connect wheels to it. I have a few questions.
1.Where can I find heavy duty wheels in the NY area. I looked in Lowe's and Home Depot and couldn't find. The sales people were not very helpful.
2. I found med duty bricks for the oven and it's 9X4.5X31/4" and I want to know if those are OK since in the plans they write 2.5" thick.
Thank you very much.
Dvir
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM

A double two by four frame is not nearly strong enough, and more to the point, not nearly rigid enough to support that huge, expensive, brittle, heavy oven. Your mobile frame should be made of heavy duty welded structural steel.

These are the kind of wheels you need:

MSC Item Detail

Six inch diameter, cast hub, 900 pound capacity

As far as the three inch bricks, you can use them, but they are an expensive specialty item around here. Why not get the cheap low duty ones from the brick yard?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Serf

Thank you so much for your advice. I think you underestimate the power of the 2X4". I consulted with a frame guy who builds houses from wood and if you think about it - your whole house is made of wood so doubled 2X4 is even stronger than doubled 4X4".
Regarding the brick I got an amazing price $1.5 per brick.
Regarding the wheel I found a different place who sells them for less than 1/2 price. Here's the link - they are located in Chicago but can ship anywhere. They are also 900LBS capacity.
6AEMPS 6" Swivel Poly on Poly Wheel
I am open to any other tips (this helps me gather more information for my build).
Thank you,
Dvir
Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM

I don't doubt that two by fours are strong: One of their strengths is their flexibility. I live in a 100 year old frame house that sways and creaks in high winds: that's one of the reasons (aside from being kept completely dry) that it's still standing.

There's also a reason that the light wood is put on top of the heavy masonry foundation, and not the other way around. Masonry is brittle, and really doesn't like to move. These are some of the reasons we don't recommend wood stands for brick ovens.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Serf

I'm going to build it from wood which has been through a process of being outside - it is used to build decks so it is weather resistant.
Thanks!
Dvir
Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
1.Where can I find heavy duty wheels in the NY area
harbor freight sells a ton of wheels check their website for stores near you, you can also buy online and they are cheap..... how are you planning on framing the base ?? and what will you use under the oven ?? remember there is a great deal of weight and HEAT involved, and wood doesnt take well to heat.... you will need a ton of insulation to keep the wood from burning..
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
wood which has been through a process of being outside - it is used to build decks so it is weather resistant.
Pressure treated wood is treated with bug poison. I wouldn't have it anywhere near anything used for food service, nor would I burn the scraps in my oven.