Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Apprentice

Default Tile saw Needed or not?

I'm seeing a lot of post talking about this HF Tile saw. Seen photos of it too, looks great but here in China where I am I can not find it's like anywhere. The best I can get is a 4" Marble cutter (mini circular saw) with a diamond blade. I've tried it on cinder block and it cuts fine but I am worried about when it comes to cutting my fire bricks that I won't be able to make such precise cuts as it looks like you can with that tile saw.

Do not even suggest please about renting one. This is China and things don't work that way here. There is no rental anything past cars and houses and rental cars are a fairly new thing...

So any ideas how I can cut my fire brick nicely?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tile saw Needed or not?

You have to be kidding me, all the tools we buy here now are from China.

See if you can get hold of one of these its what I bought for bricklaying and its a beast, all made in China.
$Au700 here, Im sure you can get a better price over there.

Faith In Virginia likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Apprentice

Better price? Ha ha I can't find it here at any price.
I've been living here for 15 years and every year I take a big empty suitcase 'home' to the States with me just to fill it with a whole bunch of Made-in-China stuff to bring back here to its place of origin only because its not available here.

Made in China, Export only. Often if you can get the item here it's a knock off or defective factory second.

Frustrating!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
every year I take a big empty suitcase 'home' to the States with me just to fill it with a whole bunch of Made-in-China stuff to bring back here to its place of origin only because its not available here.
Sounds like a business opening to me, like selling sand to the Arabs.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Sounds like a business opening to me, like selling sand to the Arabs.
Ice cubes to Eskimos yeah you might be right. I've gone as far as asking sellers in the US if I could order something from them but have it shipped to me direct from the factory here but the answer was always no.

Bob
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Master Builder

Bob,
Gee never new it was like that in China.....just thought it was become the land of everything.......... original and knock off...

I had to compensate for my lack of bricklaying skills and got one of these
http://www.btengpl.com/products.html#Brick

ELECTRIC B.T. BRICKSAW

its a monster too and scares the neighbors kids away...didn't make me a brickie

Old 05-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Master Builder

I found a BT Bricksaw without the stand second hand for a good price. Like you say, it is a beast and did a good job for me. Strange but it didn't make me a brick layer either but it did make the build easier.

Cheers ....... Steve
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Apprentice

I'm going to keep looking. But having been to the masonry places, the tile places and the biggest tool places already I'm not expecting much.

I can't even order from overseas as the cost of shipping would likely double the cost and the import duty would add still another 40% so it's not an option.

No, every thing might be made here but everything also gets exported.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can build it without a saw. Simply cut the bricks in half with a brick bolster (like a really wide cold chisel) two blows with a hammer and you'd done. No brick dust. The rough end goes to the outside. You use more mortar, but if using the home brew it's really cheap. You can also do a lot with an angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade.

Plenty of people have built ovens without a saw.

Last edited by david s; 05-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Tile saw Needed or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
You can build it without a saw. Simply cut the bricks in half with a brick bolster (like a really wide cold chisel) two blows with a hammer and you'd done. No brick dust. The rough end goes to the outside. You use more mortar, but if using the home brew it's really cheap. You can also do a lot with an angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade.

Plenty of people have built ovens without a saw.
Gudday
It's very doable.... But as Dave's said the angle grinder/ diamond saw is usefull for some of those cuts particularly around the arch transition and at the top of the dome

Regards dave

My Build

My Door