Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Tools, Tips and Techniques

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By UtahBeehiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Peasant

Default Tapering on a 10" saw?

I have started my build of a 42" in Portland, OR and have been very impressed with some of the builds on here. I would like to put the time in to cut the bricks for a nice, tight taper, but can't seem to figure out how to set it up on my saw.

I have reviewed a number of threads about cutting the brick faces to remove the inverted Vee, but haven't been able to figure out how it is possible to cut the taper without running into the arbor on my 10" wet saw.

Is there some trick that I am missing, or is this only possible with a 14" saw?

Also, I have read that people soak the brick prior to cutting. Is there a reason for this? I cut the bricks for the floor without soaking, and the diamond blade cut through it like butter!

Thanks for all the help.
Aaron
Tapering on a 10" saw?-img_0165.jpg
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tapering on a 10" saw?

Aaron,

I used the old cheapo Harbor Freight 10" and was able, for the most part do most of the compound cuts I needed. I made a jig that allows you to cut the taper and bevel at the same time. Here is a pic of the jig. It is just a take off modifications of another WFO idea. You will find that you will need to do some hand cutting\fine tuning on certain cuts. Yell if you have questions. There are other examples out there some more complicated and some more simple. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Tapering on a 10" saw?-33-brick-jig-6.16.12.jpg   Tapering on a 10" saw?-33a-brick-jig-6.16.12.jpg   Tapering on a 10" saw?-33b-brick-jig-6.16.12.jpg   Tapering on a 10" saw?-33c-brick-jig-6.16.12.jpg  
kbartman and dbordow like this.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

^^^^^
that jig is the bomb. Wish I had it for my build!

check out my spreadsheet to get the calculations for the brick dimensions and angles for the jig. Linked in my sig below.

Fun to see all the new builds starting up this season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

aaron,

too bad you weren't around last fall, I donated my jig to a WFOer back east off this forum. But you can build one with scrap stuff fairly easy. I think I only spent less than $5 on material for the Habitat for Humanity thrift store called Restore. I think most major cities have one. The wood tables were from an old cabinet front, the bolts were toilet flange bolts and the hinges SS cabinet hinges. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Laborer

I'm the lucky one taking advantage of UtahBeehiver's Jig, thanks again. I started it up last fall and will hopefully start up soon once some more of this snow melts. I'm going to pass it on after I finish but I dont think you want to wait that long. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland_aaron View Post

Also, I have read that people soak the brick prior to cutting. Is there a reason for this?
Because they dont know any better.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Aaron,

I used the old cheapo Harbor Freight 10" and was able, for the most part do most of the compound cuts I needed. I made a jig that allows you to cut the taper and bevel at the same time. Here is a pic of the jig. It is just a take off modifications of another WFO idea. You will find that you will need to do some hand cutting\fine tuning on certain cuts. Yell if you have questions. There are other examples out there some more complicated and some more simple. Good luck.
Hello,
Utah Beehiver
Great jig, I would like to make one. Do you have a more detailed sketch or pictures of you 10" jig. How is the height adjustment set screw installed?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Will pm u so i don't hijack the thread
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Aaron,

Nice set up there!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Peasant

UtahBeehiver - feel free to hijack the thread! I would be interested to see the schematics as well.

I made a little progress this weekend, but just with the level (easy) cuts. The tile saw is a lot of fun - goes through the bricks like butter!