Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Apprentice

Default Stucco

We are getting close to the stucco stage on our oven. We would love to use a synthetic stucco that has more of an elastic quality to it. I think it would do better in New England. Have any of you that have stuccoed have any advice and or product suggestions. We have Durorock and would love to get away without having to go 3 coats. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
G
Old 08-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Stucco

Go with an acrylic stucco. The manufacture I used was Dryvit. You can get any color you want with a few different textures.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Journeyman

I used a synthetic stucco on an outdoor kitchen in Arizona. My only regret in making the kitchen was that I didn't include a WFO. The stucco was quite a bit easier to use than portland stucco because the glue in it makes it stick a lot better. If I were using stucco on a WFO I would use the synthetic. I probably wouldn't use it on a home because of some mold issues a few years ago. It's tough to sell a home with synthetic stucco, especially if the buyer is using a relocation service.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Apprentice

Just got back from Phoenix last week. Love
Arizona. Did you use the Dryvit directly over the Durock or did you use the diamond lath or the light weight white foam boards? I would love to be able to just use 2 coats.
Thank you for the info,
G
Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Journeyman

We used two coats directly on the hardibacker. I don't recall the brand. The contractor bought it. I do recall that it came in 5 gallon buckets. One coat had finer sand than the other. The contractor said the fine sand was the first coat and the courser sand was the second, but I think he got it backwards. In any event, it worked well.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Apprentice

JM,
I am trying to find a supplier in CT that is close to us.
Dryvit has a bunch of types and I can't find anyone around here to tell me which on to use (the name). If you can remember please send me a quick reply when you get a chance. I like 2 coats vs the 3 the conventional way. Plus the Dryvit has elastisity that regular stucco doesn't.
Thanks for the quick response,
G
Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used three coats of acrylic stucco directly onto the vermicrete insulation.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used Quickrete Surface Bonding Cement,(stucco) Two coats, I added color and acrylic fortifier for water proofing.. Very easy to use, finish with a trowel for smooth or a sponge for a little texture..
Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Peasant

I have used surface bonding cement, as well, on many projects and it has always turned out very well. Very easy to use and finishes like stucco. It has fibers in the mix for reinforcement and appears to prevent any cracking. It is white and takes concrete stain very well. I have used it both with an acrylic modifier and without. The acrylic seems to make it work a little nicer and cure a little slower (good thing), but I have no idea whether it has improved the long-term strength or crack resistance because all the projects I have done with it have no cracking or any other issues, irrespective of the acrylic addition.

It is a tad pricey at about $13/ 40lb bag, though. I used a single, thick coat on most things because I believed the fibers in it would make the difference, and so far that appears to be the case.

I have also mixed my own cementitious stucco and parged with it. It also turned out very nicely, but was not as workable as the surface bonding cement. The surface bonding cement also had a smoother, finer textured finish. In addition, it adds another level of strength to the project that stucco may not. After all, it is made to create a mortar shell, if you will, around dry-stacked block.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Apprentice

Thank you all for the input. Do you or should you use a fiber mesh over the seams first before you do you first coat. OH...... Where did you get the Quickrete products?
G