Old 11-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Apprentice

Default To stack or pile?

To stack or pile? Not sure but this is an easy way to do it. Pile stacked in cylinder is Arbutus and the rectangle is mostly Fir. In the foreground of trailer shows how big the Arbutus tress were. Thought the wire mesh will hold everything up in our windstorms here. The blue foam on ground should work to let water run off and keep things a bit warm. I will put a dark colored tarp over both piles leaving the bottom foot or so open for air flow. This combination of things should speed up the drying process. I have hear it takes a year atleast to properly season firewood. I hope I dont have to wait that long.
It might be a bit early to post this as a tip or technique as I dont really know how well this will work. I hope to get a moisture meter soon so it will be interesting to get a reading on the wet unsplit wood and see how long it takes to season the split and stacked Arbutus. I dont know if anyone has ever tried to split this stuff but it is as hard as can be. I have heard it burns very very hot!
Attached Thumbnails
To stack or pile?-stack-pile.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by waynebergman; 11-26-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: To stack or pile?

I think the key is to have good dry airflow -looks like stacking or piling both do and adequate job. Since you can more loosely space piled logs, it should provide a bit more air flow.

I made a mistake a few years back and covered my firewood pile, too well - pulled the tarp back after 6 mos or so of ignroant bliss and had a funky smelling moldy stacked pile of fire wood.....

I'm guessing the blue foam is closed cell and not a big blue sponge....

christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.