Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 AM
Serf

Default Setting the cooking floor

Hello all,

I'm debating how best to lay the oven floor of my WFO. FB oven plans 2.0 (page 32) mention one way is to set the floor inside the oven dome (this is my preference). I am using Insblok-19 for my floor insulation (4x6x2" thick) so I can accomodate the dome on top of the floor if need be.

With floor inside dome, my brick floor plus Insblok-19 is 4.25" proud of the hearth. My first dome course will then be a soldier course, tall brick dimension standing.

Any pros/cons to this approach? I don't mind cutting my bricks to come up with a 1 meter diameter floor to fit inside the dome.

Any reason I should build the dome on top of the floor bricks? I'm not too worried about the weight of the bricks compressing the Insblok-19. It's pretty rugged stuff.

I'm looking for some compelling reason to go one way or the other

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Greg in Ri
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Setting the cooking floor

If you put the dome on top, the floor brick can run wild.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Apprentice

Hey Greg where are you in RI...we are in North Providence! Not to many RI'ers on this board...gotta stick together!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In any case, you want the entire dome (floor and walls) insulation. I don't think there is much of a performance difference as to putting the dome on the floor bricks or straight on the insulation...

Drake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Master Builder

I built my dome on top of the floor simply because I felt it gave me the sense of a more solid connection between the two parts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 05-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With the dome outside rather than on top of the dome gives easier access to replace floor bricks, but in practice would anyone do this? I think we all just fire and cook- cracks be damned.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Serf

Hey Chef,

I'm in Wakefield, on the west side of town.

My plan is to place the soldier course (long dimension vertical) of the first row of dome bricks right on the concrete hearth. Only floor bricks and the board insulation would be inside the dome and vent area. The entire igloo will be covered with Insulfrax insulation. My concrete hearth is still curing under plastic so I'm not sure how well the soldier course will stand. My hearth is perfectly level and the floating made it come out real smooth so I'm figuring I won't have any stability problems will tall soldier bricks. I will mortar the bricks together with Heat Stop-50.

Greg
Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You will be bleeding heat into your slab with that plan.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
You will be bleeding heat into your slab with that plan.
+1 true that

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
My plan is to place the soldier course (long dimension vertical) of the first row of dome bricks right on the concrete hearth.
Don't do that. You're using board insulation anyway, and you will have to cut it away and dispose of it to follow this foolish plan. Your entire oven except the exposed opening should be entirely enclosed in insulation.

If you're worried about strength, your concern is misplaced. All the insulation boards have more than enough compressive strength to support your oven.