Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Serf

Default Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

I am an architect in Chicago that just finished a 36" pompei. Since the FB forums were so helpful to me during design and construction, I wanted to reciprocate. Unfortunately, my work cycle limited my work to two bursts - one last fall and one this summer.

I've summarized my construction in five pdfs attached to this thread. Since the basic construction of the dome is covered elsewhere, I've tried to focus on the stuff I experimented with - the GFRC shells and the copper shingle roof. Both were successful.

The idea behind the design was to keep the bulk of the oven to a minimum so that it would not overwhelm an urban back yard. Materials were chosen to outlast me. My wife was unbelievably supportive and let me over spend.

Please note that I am not advocating for any techniques. Most will think I went overboard and they may be correct. I chalk it up to R&D.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pizza Oven Summary 1.pdf (1.07 MB, 466 views)
File Type: pdf Pizza Oven Summary 2.pdf (952.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: pdf Pizza Oven Summary 3.pdf (1.09 MB, 358 views)
File Type: pdf Pizza Oven Summary 4.pdf (1.14 MB, 346 views)
File Type: pdf Pizza Oven Summary 5.pdf (955.9 KB, 444 views)
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Master Builder

Thumbs up Re: Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

Great Job and thanks for posting your build. That is something to be very proud of. I actually thought about a copper clad dome, but had no idea how to do it. You have raised the bar again on this forum. Cheers!
Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

OMG!!!! That is the craziest thing ever. Beautiful, and incredibly imaginative.

Lately, I have taken to bitching about how much work I have left on my oven. After looking at what you did with your enclosure, I think I am getting off easy.

Please post some more pictures once that copper gets a verdigris patina!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I took the liberty of posting a screenshot of the finished product so people could see what the kudos are about without having to download all the PDFs.
Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof-untitled.jpg

Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Journeyman

Fantastic larryk - you're a credit to your profession - as well as a craftsman of some skill. I too considered a copper cladding, but didn't feel I could carry it off. As DJ says the inevitable verdigris finish will only add to the character.
What gauge copper was it?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Serf

Amac - I used 16 oz copper (weight per sf) which translates to .021" thickness. Twenty oz copper would work well, too, but would be even more expensive.

Thanks for the kind words.

LarryK
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

LarryK,

That is something you should be very proud of. If I had the skills to do this I would thug your design and do this to my oven. I am very jealous of the cladding.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Serf

Russell -

I think the hurdle with the copper shingles is more cost vs. difficulty. Start with a full row of 45-degree half diamonds on the bottom. Then template the angle of the next full shingle course and mirror it to make a full shingle. Every shingle on that course will be the same. Then repeat up the dome. Shingles will get taller and skinnier as you go up the dome. Each dome is likely to be unique.

The only tools you really need for the shingles are a 12-inch Malco folding tool and a good pair of tin snips.

Use the folding tool to make two flanges that fold UNDER on the bottom and two flanges that fold OVER on top. Nest the bottom flanges of the upper shingle in the top flanges of the lower shingle course. Attach the top flanges with two hand made cleats.

Like building the dome itself, it only gets tricky at the junctions with the flue/chimney. You can template these odd ball shingles, too. Gotta make a cricket on the back of the chimney. You'll probably need a metal brake for that.

Only caution is that it takes time. Lots of time.

Larry
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

Really nice work. I love the look!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Larry,

I think my $ budget won't allow what you did. Regardless, that is a gorgeous dome cover.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Tags
gfrc, metal roof, shingles