Old 06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Laborer

Default Perfect Pizza Cutter - Does it Exist??

I've developed a frustration with pizza cutters that move the pizza around when trying to cut it or that won't cut through the crust ends. Mind you, my crusts might be a little thicker than the standard Neapolitan. My latest purchase was a $10, 14" rocker style cutter. I figured this would at least eliminate the moving pie problem. It was great for the 1st few pizzas but now it's so dull, I'd probably struggle cutting butter! So is there a perfect pizza cutter out there? Or maybe my issue is the lack of a good knife sharpener. I have the same struggle with my kitchen knifes. I can't seem to get a good point with a steel and those little hand sharpeners with the stones seem worthless. The only time I get a good sharpen is when I lug all the knifes down to the local hardware store and wait a week or so for their guy to pick them up, sharpen them and get them back to the store. Very impractical. I wished I knew what they were using.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Perfect Pizza Cutter - Does it Exist??

It is probably your technique more than the tool. With the wheel type, start in the center and pull towards you, turn the pizza as much as you want and cut from the center towrds you, etc.

Oh and don't cut on anything but wood.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
It is probably your technique more than the tool. With the wheel type, start in the center and pull towards you, turn the pizza as much as you want and cut from the center towrds you, etc.

Oh and don't cut on anything but wood.
So you're saying any old cutter will suffice?... as long as it's sharp perhaps.

I do cut on a stone which I guess can cause a prob for sharp blades. What do you guys cut on? I'm afraid to score my wooden peels.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, I have a commercial one, but it wasn't expensive and I have had it for years and never sharpened it. I cut on a wood cutting board.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Well, I have a commercial one, but it wasn't expensive and I have had it for years and never sharpened it. I cut on a wood cutting board.
Are you talking just any large wooden cutting board or these fairly pricey wood fiber Pizza Cutting / Serving Boards?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Regular old wood cutting board, but I may buy a couple of those, they are nice.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Regular old wood cutting board, but I may buy a couple of those, they are nice.
I wonder if whatever else besides the wood fibers, that makes them dishwasher safe & absorption resistant, would tend to dull a cutter.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Perfect Pizza Cutter - Does it Exist??

There is a thread dealing with this very question, see:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...nife-3962.html (Cutting pizza: wheel or knife)

I have several posts with the pics attached and I have not had to sharpen this rocking home made pizza cutter since I made it some years ago. It was an offcut from my stainless steel chimney void sharpened and set into a wooden handle.

Cheers

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect Pizza Cutter - Does it Exist??-rocking-knife-blade-web.jpg   Perfect Pizza Cutter - Does it Exist??-rocking-pizza-cutter-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very Nice, Neil! Beautiful job! Cool that you did it yourself!
Jay
Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Master Builder

I've been very pleased with the Forno Bravo cutter which came as a reward for 250 posts. No need for any double roll. It is sharp and if properly cared for should last for a long long time. IMHO worth the price if one prefers to buy one rather than contribute to the dialog.

As for cutting surface: I cut on a small sheet of phenolic plastic. Caramel in color, it is a phenolic resin and paper product. While my cutting board is a salvage piece from Boeing Surplus I have seen commercial pizza cutting boards made of the same material. Those boards you linked too look like the wood fiber and phenolic resin version. Phenolic resin products have been around since the early 20th century and are basically food safe... just don't get them too hot. As a "thermosetting" plastic they will blister, char and give off a stinky odor rather than melt.

Cutting against hard wood is fine as is a piece of Corian. The trick is to cut against something a bit softer than the knife but not so soft that they are deeply cut. The white poly cutting boards are usually too soft and are easly deeply scored creating places for food debris to collect and fester. And as a "thermoplastic" plastic they melt.

Bests,
Wiley