Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 AM
Peasant

Default Need thin dense insulation for a couple areas.

I changed my design plan midway through and have caused a small issue. the distance between my dome and the brick wall is only 2 inches on 3 sides of the dome. All the other areas have plenty of vermiculite to insulate.

So I want to protect the 3 sides of brick from losing heat. I'd rather not buy a whole roll of insulation blanket for the small areas I need. My question is, is there a commonly available dense insulation I can put between the wall and dome? I looked at an autoparts store for enging heat insulation (like you have in your car), but they don't carry it. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Need thin dense insulation for a couple areas.

I am thinking about something like this:

Amazon.com: Thermo-Tec 14130 24" X 48" One Sided Thermo Guard Flame Retardant: Automotive

Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Journeyman

Have you considered using CalSil board for those spots? That is a great insulator. One and a half inches of CalSil insulates as well or better than 4-6 inches of vermicrete. You should be able to put some small pieces in there (wear a dust mask when you do it!)

I have some CalSil offcuts I can send you if you think that will work.

Neil
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Peasant

Sounds like it will be better than the idea I had.

Thanks for the generous offer. I called around and found a place that sells cutoffs and will be picking up a piece that is 12" x 36" x 1", so i will be able to do a 12" x 12" on each corner. Best part is the price is only $7.50.

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
I changed my design plan midway through and have caused a small issue. the distance between my dome and the brick wall is only 2 inches on 3 sides of the dome. All the other areas have plenty of vermiculite to insulate.

So I want to protect the 3 sides of brick from losing heat. I'd rather not buy a whole roll of insulation blanket for the small areas I need. My question is, is there a commonly available dense insulation I can put between the wall and dome? I looked at an autoparts store for enging heat insulation (like you have in your car), but they don't carry it. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Chris
If its dense it aint an insulator.
Carpet, really?.....

Use ceramic fibre blanket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Peasant

did you even click on the link, it's more than carpet. it's a moot point. I went with the CalSil board

I am going to use the Thermotec as one layer in the door since i already ordered it.

The door will be thermotec, stainless, 1" of CalSil, and stainless (the CalSil sandwiched in the stainess)