Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Serf

Default Mold creation for castable refractory

I'm new to the forum and a DIY pizza and bread fan and a WFO is on my wish list, but first I want to do some experimentation with castable refractory. From reading the DIY examples in the forum, it looks like there may be various ways to work with it, like piling thick refractory on top of a sand dome or pouring it into a styrofoam mold. I would like to experiment with making a mold to create some pieces to experiment with.

Is there a good or standard way to create a mold? Plaster? Sand? Some sort of foam? Without bothering you with too much detail, I'll just say I'm not creating a dome or anything specific right now. Just considering a design for a different sort of oven and want to make some casted pieces.

Regards . . .